Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Slander!

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Slander!

Postby Mathews » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:49 am

okay...problem. I work in retail...and naturally you have to talk to you co-workers right?! well anyway, one co-worker [joe] and I seem to always be working together! Now I just got married like a month ago, and he just had a baby around the time of my wedding. so hes like common law married. anyway, well since me and him are always working together, his wife [or girlfriend whatever] Trisha has a close eye on him. well recently joe and another co worker [adrianna] went to JC pennys to shop for a last minute gift, and a friend [yvonne] of joes wife saw him with another girl...me and adrianna have the same exact hair cut, and like Yvonne calls Trisha and is talking major crap about me saying..ohh Miracle was with Joe and blah. so Trisha comes to the store like telling him off, and im there like clueless as to what is going on! so IM just like standing there ringing up my customers, and like I asked him like an hour later I was like " so why was trisha over here like yellin at you" and hes like "because she thinks im cheating on her with you" and i start laughing cuz it was funny! but I thought he was joking! okay well my husbands mom actually works at JC Pennys with this Yvonne girl, and shes totally contorting my image! I dont know what to do! my Friends say slander, but i dont know if I have like a case against her or anything! My husbands in the Army, in like IRAQ! He cant have his mind worrying about me! nd I sure dont need my mother in law hating me! is there anyway i can get this to stop!? legally?
Mathews

Slander!

Postby Cris » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:49 pm

okay...problem. I work in retail...and naturally you have to talk to you co-workers right?! well anyway, one co-worker [joe] and I seem to always be working together! Now I just got married like a month ago, and he just had a baby around the time of my wedding. so hes like common law married. anyway, well since me and him are always working together, his wife [or girlfriend whatever] Trisha has a close eye on him. well recently joe and another co worker [adrianna] went to JC pennys to shop for a last minute gift, and a friend [yvonne] of joes wife saw him with another girl...me and adrianna have the same exact hair cut, and like Yvonne calls Trisha and is talking major crap about me saying..ohh Miracle was with Joe and blah. so Trisha comes to the store like telling him off, and im there like clueless as to what is going on! so IM just like standing there ringing up my customers, and like I asked him like an hour later I was like " so why was trisha over here like yellin at you" and hes like "because she thinks im cheating on her with you" and i start laughing cuz it was funny! but I thought he was joking! okay well my husbands mom actually works at JC Pennys with this Yvonne girl, and shes totally contorting my image! I dont know what to do! my Friends say slander, but i dont know if I have like a case against her or anything! My husbands in the Army, in like IRAQ! He cant have his mind worrying about me! nd I sure dont need my mother in law hating me! is there anyway i can get this to stop!? legally?
Cris

Slander!

Postby Akim » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:12 am

HI Miracle,

I am sorry to say there is no law being broken here. Slander is when someone says something about you that results in loss of wages or causes you to lose money somehow, and the statements must not be true. You have not lost anything money wise because of this, so there is no crime.

May I respectfully suggest that you talk in person to your mother-in-law ASAP and explain to her just what you explained to me. Also you may want to talk to Yvonne's supervisor at JC Penny and ask them to tell this Yvonne person to stop spreading rumors about you at her work(JC Penny's) because you have relatives that work there. That should help also.

Also tell your husband what has happened and that you are dealing with it. Let him know that you are being up front and honest that its not you and you want to put a stop to the rumors.

I hope this helps, sorry that I can not help you as far as a crime goes. If you need further advice just let me know.
Akim

Return to Defamation Law