Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Slander, Libel In The Work Place

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Postby FIynn » Wed May 25, 2016 2:36 am

IF SOMEONE DOES NOT GET SELECTED FOR A PROMOTION AT WORK, AND THEN MAKES UNTRUE STATEMENTS ABOUT BOTH THE PERSON WHO DID GET THE JOB, AND THE PERSON DOING THE HIRING, IS IT CONSIDERED SLANDER? THE UNTRUE STATEMENTS INCLUDED STATING THAT THE PERSON GAVE THE JOB TO THE OTHER BECAUSE "THEY HAVE SOMETHING GOING ON" TO THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE FACILITY. THIS PERSON ALSO SAID THAT "EVERYONE THAT I HAVE TALKED TO SAYS THAT THIS IS TRUE"INDICATING THAT HE IS SPREADING THESE ACCUSATIONS.  
FIynn

Postby Torence » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:13 pm

IF SOMEONE DOES NOT GET SELECTED FOR A PROMOTION AT WORK, AND THEN MAKES UNTRUE STATEMENTS ABOUT BOTH THE PERSON WHO DID GET THE JOB, AND THE PERSON DOING THE HIRING, IS IT CONSIDERED SLANDER? THE UNTRUE STATEMENTS INCLUDED STATING THAT THE PERSON GAVE THE JOB TO THE OTHER BECAUSE "THEY HAVE SOMETHING GOING ON" TO THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE FACILITY. THIS PERSON ALSO SAID THAT "EVERYONE THAT I HAVE TALKED TO SAYS THAT THIS IS TRUE"INDICATING THAT HE IS SPREADING THESE ACCUSATIONS.  
Torence

Postby link » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:44 am

Hi Jean,

Slander is making a false statement of fact about a person which defames them in some way.  (Libel is the same as slander except in writing).  Telling people that someone is having an affair and used that affair to get a promotion would appear to be slander(assuming it is untrue).

I hope this helps!

- Mike  
link

Return to Defamation Law