Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Simple Assault On A Minor

Criminal Law Discussion Forum

Postby Attakullakulla » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:44 am

I am an over protective father who recently found a young man that has been ask to leave our daughter alone visiting with my daughter at her locker at school.  I walked up and put my hand on his arm firmly and walked him away from my daughter and told him to leave her alone.  I did not try to hurt him in any way.  His parents are pressing charges and I am not sure how to handle this.  I have no money to spare for an attorney but realize after reading on the internet that I am in big trouble.  What is the worst that could happen if I don't hire an attorney?
Attakullakulla

Postby Colmcille » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:14 am

Gary,

Sorry about the problem.  There are two issues, first is the criminal aspect.  The assault is a simple assault, minor misdemeanor.  Usually not a big deal.  Theoretically  you will probably be contacted by the police to see what your version is.  It is possible they could just seek a warrant.  The penalty for this is usually pretty minor.  It is a simple misdemeanor, fine, probation etc.  A lot will deal with your prior record if any.  If you are contacted by the police make sure they understand the full situation.  That you had prior contact with the young man, he was "stalking or harassing" your daughter and that you were just protecting her.  If you are lucky the officer you talk to will have a teen age daughter.  Understand that just because you touch some one does not make it assault.

The second issue is one of a civil nature, the young man could also sue for assault also.  Again it is pretty minor and the chance of prevailing is pretty slim  but it is something you need to aware of.

Hope this helps a least a little

robin
Colmcille

Return to Criminal Law