Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Should the driving age be lowered to 14?

Family Law Discussion Forum

Postby francisco » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:31 am

Teenagers are getting more responsibility, so why not more privileges, too? 1/5 of children get left at home from 3:30 to 5:00 after school with no parents around. Instead of being home alone, they could drive to a job to earn some extra money for themselves and their family. It would also bring crime rates down because then teenagers would have something else to do rather than look for trouble.

I've seen a bunch of websites against lowering the driving age. People think that teenagers are reckless drivers that are hostile with road rage. They make teens sound so very immature. In reality, most teens are very careful about road safety and care about the safety of others as well as their own. In some cases, underage drinking and drugs play a vast part in car wrecks. Just because some teens make bad decisions doesn’t mean all should be punished. While on the topic of drugs and drinking, most students get into that after school, when their parents are late to pick them up. If they had a car, they'd be less tempted to get into that. Lowering the driving age would also help the students academically. Many students can't stay after school to do some work because because of lack of a ride. Teenagers start to mature a lot at the age of 14. Its a proven fact that the more supervised practice you have in driving, the less chance you have of getting into a wreck. To allow young people to drive at the age of 14 is a protection for them. They would first have to gain the appropriate knowledge and get training on how to drive safely. By allowing them to obtain a license after they acquire the proper knowledge and training, we are saving lives. So practicing in a parking lot and on open roads for an extensive period of time and at a younger age with a responsible adult present at all times will really benefit them. It will allow young Canadians to learn the rules of the road earlier, it will teach them responsibility at a young age, and they will fully profit from this modification in the law. Most parents are worried that their teenager who is driving won't have enough time to get prepared for the road test. This way they can spend longer time with them from a younger age in order to implant whatever it takes to keep the roads safe. It is obvious that not all teens are ready to drive at 14. It is also the parents responsibility to decide if their 14 year old is ready to drive. I do believe that if you can prove that you are a safe driver, you should be granted the right to exercise your abilities on the road. It would make life a lot easier for parents and would also teach responsibility to teens all across Canada. Many times teens want money, so what's a better way to earn it than getting a job. The problem with that is that most parents work too, so there wouldn't be a ride for the teen. Another reason is that they could help out with errands like buying groceries and driving your brothers or sisters to school or bringing them to a friends house. Responsibility is absent in many teens, and it would be raised earlier in life if teens had the chance to deal with the “real world.” You can fly an airplane at 12 with a supervisor around. I think by then you should start preparing to drive. The general argument should not be concerning your age, it should concern the experience that you have in driving.

In conclusion, lowering the driving age would raise responsibility, grades, and lower crime rates. Teens are used to high priced living, and a lot of teens are failing to take life seriously. Driving will help them see how a split second decision can change your life and the lives of others for the better or the worse. I know that some teens are irresponsible, but what about the ones who are responsible? and mature? What would you rather want, one more or one less responsible teenager in your neighborhood?
francisco

Postby motega » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:37 am

hey idiot i dont like driving with 18 year olds let alone 14 year olds
have u seen kids latly? they are getting more retarded
motega

Postby jordi » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:47 am

Not even No Hell No

there's a reason why insurance is so pricey when your 18 than when your 30 buddy
jordi

Postby matyas » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:57 am

teenagers lack judgment at that age, just look at their drama, and their tendancies to rush into things halfcocked. i believe it should be raised.
in his/her hands it is not a car, but a bomb.
matyas

Postby rumford » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:03 am

More responsible? Yeah right! Kids are getting more and more sheltered and separated from reality. I would not trust a texting 14 year old girl behind the wheel.
rumford

Postby anson34 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:13 am

I believe that is ok, but the driving test should be made harder and additional training required. A lot of the training for first time driver's education is focused towards the "rules of the road" and very little time is spent on safe operation of the vehicle. It should be very exclusive as only the most matured, skilled, and patient teens will be on the road; dangerous drivers need not apply. When seeing drivers on the road in United States today, a large number adults and teens alike have very little regard to safety and courtesy to other motorists. There is a small segment of people throughout all age groups who just 'get it' unlike the rest of them. THEY ARE NOT CURRENTLY TEACHING PEOPLE "HOW TO DRIVE," THEY ARE TEACHING "HOW TO PASS THE DRIVING TEST."

But truly, throw out the driving test and put down an IQ test on the table, we will stop a lot of accidents this way. Also, any car above 2000 pounds should require a CERTIFIED driver's license to operate. It is so very reckless just how many people are allowed to drive gargantuan vehicles capable of knocking a house to the ground, only the smallest of two door cars and most motorcycles can be driven by just anybody, but additional training and proof of your proficiency should be required for anything with 4 [or more] cylinders or 2 [or more] litre engine.
anson34

Postby advent » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:15 am

Respectfully, HELL NO!!
Kids are NOT more responsible. If you ask me, they are getting dumber and more and more incapable of making simple decisions. Kids today are not being taught how to think and reason. Communications skills are being degraded every day with the pervasive use of texting. Teens are so over stimulated that they lack the ability to focus on a task for more than a few minutes. I agree the emphasis should be on DRIVING SKILLS and DECISION MAKING, not on how to pass the test. Also from what I see every day, no one is teaching young drivers the true meaning of DRIVING DEFENSIVELY. It would appear that driving offensively is instead being taught.
No Sir, in my opinion, the driving age needs to be raised to at least 17 and a complete change on how driving is being taught. And I would teach young kids to drive in cars equipped with manual transmissions. Young drivers need to learn how to THINK when they drive. Manual transmissions will force a driver to pay more attention to their surrounding and THINK.
Last point no one will teach you. Vehicle ownership will be your biggest financial drain during your lifetime.
As to your last question, I want responsible parents in my neighborhood. That will go a long way toward having responsible teenagers in my neighborhood.
advent

Postby rickie » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:24 am

driving age or permit age? but no 14-year-olds driving is a terrible idea. im 15 got my permit yesterday, and extreamly nervous. i dont think you would want to drive with me on the road, let alone a 14 year old!!
rickie

Postby jasper » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:30 am

Old farts don't remember about their driving at 16 -- without training. *Our* accident rate was about double of teenagers today. But I know that at least one State allows 14-year-old people drive -- on less than 250cc motorcycles. Hey, it's a win-win situation! You can drive at 14, but a little 350 pound 'cycle will not damage cars that much.
jasper

Postby wardell » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:37 am

"Getting more responsibility..." From whom? School, Society? Stop and take a look at where a 14 year old is at that stage of life. Getting ready to start high school at a new school with new studies, new friends. Trying to fit in, be part of the group. Throw in the physical changes of puberty and raging hormones and life can become more than a handful. The only way a 14 y.o. can get a driver's license is if he/she is legally emancipated by a court. That means being financially self-sufficient. At that age it is illegal to work for hourly or salaried wages because of child labor laws. Just as knowing how to use the controls in an airplane does not make you a pilot, knowing how to operate a motor vehicle does not make you a driver.

Subject is not worthy of further consideration.

All the best.
wardell

Next

Return to Family Law