Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Should I intern with a State Criminal Defense Attorney or a Federal Criminal Defense Attorney?

Criminal Law Discussion Forum

Should I intern with a State Criminal Defense Attorney or a Federal Criminal Defense Attorney?

Postby ruddy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:06 am

I am in my 3rd year of law school and will intern in my last semester for school credit. I was offered an internship position at both the State and Federal Criminal Defense Offices. I can only choose one. Which do you think would give me more practical experience/look good on a resume?
ruddy

Postby nissim42 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:10 am

Either one would be good. It depends on what kind of experience you are looking for. The Federal one would handle bigger cases but not as much variety.
nissim42

Postby emmanuil54 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:23 am

I have a difficult time believing a law student would need to turn to Y!A for an answer to this question.

Anyway, the federal public defender's office is much more prestigious, but you'll get a very different kind of experience (I expect you'd get practical experience in both places - PDs don't have time for any other kind) due to the different nature of the crimes, funding levels, etc. I would worry more about which will help you get the attorney job you want after you graduate.

Your career services office would be a much better place to have this kind of discussion.
emmanuil54

Return to Criminal Law