Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Should I Hate My Boyfriends Family?

Family Law Discussion Forum

Postby ruddy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:26 pm

"I dont want to talk about them" well apparently you do, otherwise you wouldn't be, well, talking about them.

With that said, I'm with your boyfriend on this one. Furthermore if you intend to marry this guy then it stops being wholly your life, and becomes a shared experience. Therefore cutting them out of your lives would make things very difficult for him, and certainly very upsetting and dysfunctional for any children the two of you have together. You need to find a way to bridge the gap and find some common ground with his family. It will take work, and they may not be respectful to you at first let alone welcoming, but if you really truly love this guy as you say you do, then you'll suck it up and do it.
ruddy

Postby hjortur » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Your boyfriends family is definitely in the wrong, however, you're not the only one who would be effected by the removal of his family in your life especially if you two are talking marriage. While what his family has been saying is immature and quite rude, despite your negative feelings towards them, rise to the occassion, support the familial bond between your boyfriend and his family and then they can no longer accuse you of attempting to remove them from his life. At the end of the day, his family and what they say shouldnt matter, he knows you better than they do and you know him better than your family does as well. This is where you prove them wrong, spoil his sisters kids so that all her kids talk about is how awesome their Uncle's girlfriend is and how much they love her. Always, always, always prove them wrong and I can tell you that things will simmer down with time and that if they don't love you, they will at least accept that you are a part of his life and will be civil with you.
hjortur

Postby egan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:36 pm

hay i don't blame you, im not gonna tell you what to do im just another person on a computer. But your story sounds like some kind of movie to be honest.The family sounds awful and i would hate to be around them myself, but what you can try is to make them trust you, make them laugh and have fun no matter how rude they are just ignore them worry about you and when your ready stand up to them. if that doesn't work do what i would and punch them in the face already.
egan

Postby claudius » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:40 pm

ya everyone else pretty munched summed it up lol if you plan on marrying this guy then get used to his family because when you marry someone you're not just marrying the guy, you're marrying his family too lol. try to work it out with them and be nice around them. you're going to lose if you tell him to choose between you or his family. you can't put him in that situation or not invite them to the wedding. they will be in your life and you'll have to learn to deal with them. maybe after you get married you can live somewhere not that close to them or in a different state do you'll only have to see them over the holidays? but still if you love this guy and want to be with him then you're going to have to suck it up and deal with his crazy family and try to be as nice as possible to them no matter what they do because they're going to try to find any reason to pick on you and not like you it looks like, but don't give them any reasons to not like you :]
claudius

Postby kendell » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:44 pm

You are neither right nor wrong. They shouldn't act like that but neither should you shun them for being the way they are. Surprise them by making a gift for them and see if their attitude changes if not keep at it. Be esspecially nice to them even if they are mean to you at first. They will eventually see who you are. And one last thing. I don't know about you but I HATE prejudice. Good luck
kendell

Postby gowan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:49 pm

They sound like complete assholes. I'm surprised your boyfriend isn't similar. I think you're writing on yahoo answers because you needed some vent time. They can't dislike you forever, and if they truly care about your boyfriend then they would at least try to understand you since you're important to them. Doesn't seem like you've done anything wrong, right?

Overall, if I was in your shoes, I take family into great consideration when I'm looking for a significant other. If you're going to spend 2-40 years with them, you might as well make it bearable and find the most favorable environment. But that's just my opinion.

If you're going to put up with it...HANG IN THERE CHAMP!!
gowan

Postby culley96 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:54 pm

I suggest that you would do better to wit about two years, after you are 18, the boyfriend's family will take you more seriously.
In any event, if they accused you of being pregnant, and you ar not pregnant, tell them to wait only for about three months, and then challenge them to see the "bump", that is not there!
It is true that once you marry, you set up a separate family, but then, this is always the case, everywhere in the world, and for all time.
culley96

Previous

Return to Family Law