Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Should children who sell lemonade be fined?

Discuss Labor Laws

Postby andor25 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Children have been selling lemonade for years, but today, they risk hefty fines and arrest. Fees need to be paid for business licenses, health department certificates and most importantly, taxes need to be collected, not to mention all the zoning and sign violations and child labor law violations.

Should the central government punish children who illegally sell some lemonade to their neighbors?
andor25

Postby aldric13 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:54 pm

We cannot allow children to learn about business enterprise or personal responsibility. That would be terrible.
aldric13

Postby scirwode » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:57 pm

The central government does not issue business licenses, health department certificates or collect sales taxes in the US nor have zoning and laws about signs except on the highways they pay for. There is not even Federal law about child labor unless for businesses involved in interstate commerce. I would not be happy if the government prevented children selling lemonade, but they don't where I live, and if the do where you do you should take it up with your local government.
scirwode

Postby spengler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:02 pm

We no longer live in the innocence of the 1940's.

What would happen if one of these unregulated roadside retailers accidentally poisoned someone because they didn't know the difference between lemonade and weed killer?

And cities are hard pressed to regulate 'gypsy' retail operations, thus the over the top reaction to what was once benign activities like children selling homemade lemonade.

You also forgot homeowners associations that prohibit such activities in their CC&R regulations.

There are plenty of opportunities elsewhere for young businesses to begin. Get over it.
spengler

Postby teyrnon72 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:14 pm

Only if one of those neighbors gets salmonella and e-coli from the unwashed lemons the kids used.

While it sounds cute and innocent, the fact is that people always did get more than then bargained for when kids use the potty and don't wash up well. Maybe that's your idea of fun, but its not mine.

Maybe its because my family owned a restaurant, but I have always known how chancy food is, and how you have to be very clean and very careful about what you take in.
You look at it from the standpoint of 'Oh its just kids" and I see dirty hands.

I don't think they should be fined, but they shouldn't do it. Sell crayon pictures, or bottled water.
teyrnon72

Postby devdutta58 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:16 pm

If we do not collect taxes on everything; including children's kool aid stands how can we afford to purchase birth control for students at elite law schools?

If you object to this they you are clearly a racist that does not like women, hates education, wants old people to eat dog food and wants dirty air and water.
devdutta58

Postby atworth49 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:24 pm

If we do not collect taxes on everything; including children's kool aid stands how can we afford to purchase birth control for students at elite law schools?

If you object to this they you are clearly a racist that does not like women, hates education, wants old people to eat dog food and wants dirty air and water.
atworth49

Postby fiacre68 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:25 pm

I don't know of one child fined or arrested for this.... or even threatened. Do you have a source? Not challenging you, just curious.

Anyway, I have only seen these lemonade stands on sitcoms or kids movies and other fiction things. I think lemonade stands have gone the way of the Snoopy Snow Cone.
fiacre68

Postby lundie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:31 pm

According to the Nannies who work in government, yes. Because they think that government bureaucracies know more about what you should and should not consume than you do.
lundie

Postby stanciyf » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:38 pm

A raw milker seller was tortured in LA county jail
http://www.naturalnews.com/035208_James_Stewart_torture_county_jail.html
stanciyf

Next

Return to Labor Laws