Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   


Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Shoplifting From Walmart In North Carolina

Criminal Law Discussion Forum

Shoplifting From Walmart In North Carolina

Postby halsey43 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:23 pm

My query involves criminal law for the state of: North Carolina
I am not here to be told what I did was stupid and wrong. I currently understand that.
I am 19 years old and a pal and I had been caught shoplifting from a Walmart yesterday. The loss prevention person stopped me and they took me and my pal into the region. We emptied our bags of the merchandise ($162 for me) and were told we had been caught on tape as well. The police had been known as earlier for a fight so we have been cited there with misdemeanor larceny and told to appear in court on June 18th.
I want to know how I need to proceed from correct here. This is my fairly initial offense and the only time I've ever carried out something this stupid. I cannot afford a private lawyer and several threads have stated that to get a PD I require to plead not guilty, but provided that I certainly was caught red-handed I really feel like carrying out that would only hurt me.
I'd like to go for a deferred prosecution and hopefully just get neighborhood service and some fines but I have no notion how to go about this. Any ideas??
Would a plea of "no contest" be the ideal route?
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:28 pm

Shoplifting From Walmart In New York

Postby roane » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:53 pm

You want to plead Straightforward and ask for a PD.
Pleading guilty gets you the maximum sentence, wherever pleading not guilty and obtaining a PD will get the fee and sentence lessened.
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Shoplifting From Walmart In North Carolina

Postby alleyne » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:29 pm

Thank you both for the advice! Much appreciated!
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:05 am

Shoplifting From Walmart In North Carolina

Postby Osmond » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:08 pm

No, it'll not harm you, plead not guilty and obtain a PD. You are able to alter your not guilty plea anytime to no-contest or guilty. It's better to enter a not guilty plea at first, since if you wish to alter a guilty or no-contest plea to not guilty later it'll be looked at with bias, but you will not have any issue when altering a not guilty plea. You will oftimes be offered a plea-bargain to a smaller charge as a swap for transforming it to some responsible plea.
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Return to Criminal Law


  • Related topics
    Last post