Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Shipping Coffee To Usa

Discussions relating to Drug Laws

Shipping Coffee To Usa

Postby Berton » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:21 am

My family has a coffee plantation in the philippines producing pure "excelsa" organic. I want to ship some samples to have my friends try it & see how americans respond to this new exotic coffee.

Can you please tell how to ship small quantity from the philippines to USA? because they said shipping companies are accepting food without clearance. where can i get the clearance?

thank you very much.

robert
Berton

Shipping Coffee To Usa

Postby eguzki » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:53 am

My family has a coffee plantation in the philippines producing pure "excelsa" organic. I want to ship some samples to have my friends try it & see how americans respond to this new exotic coffee.

Can you please tell how to ship small quantity from the philippines to USA? because they said shipping companies are accepting food without clearance. where can i get the clearance?

thank you very much.

robert
eguzki

Shipping Coffee To Usa

Postby kunsgnos » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:03 pm

Hello Robert. These days the American Government is concerned about potential terrorist threats to the food supply chain, thus they have passed several laws that the FDA(Food Drug Administration) and Homeland Security enforce. One of these relates directly to imports of coffee into the USA. Essentially you need to register yourself, your faclility and the facility of the agent in the USA with the FDA to be able to ship coffee into America. Every shipment must be notified to the FDA well prior to shipping and proof of registration, called a prior notification alert, must be provided to the shipping company along with all other essential documents(AWB/OBL, ICO Certifcates, Invoices, country of orign health certification, Packing lists etc...etc...). Now if you are only sending small samples through, as you have mentioned, basic rules remain the same. However if you can find someone to help carry the samples into the USA as baggage, this would be the best way to go. Samples need to be declared to Homeland Security/Customs border control at the Airport of entry(eg LAX/SFO), but normally after a quick check- as long as the coffee is proffessionally packed- heat sealed for instance- Customs will allow you to bring it in as long as it is declared and examined.

You could aslo look at using a courier service, but they too require the FDA procedures to be followed, and if the Phils is like Indonesia, courier costs to the USA are not that cost effective.  
kunsgnos

Return to Drug Laws