Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Server Wage Increase

Discuss Labor Laws

Server Wage Increase

Postby Chansomps » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:06 am

I am a server in Missouri and January 1, 2007 the state minimum wage increased to $6.50/hour at first the said that it wouldn't effect servers but in the last couple of weeks they reviewed it and said servers should be getting paid $3.25/hour effective January 1.  The company I work for has not started paying us the increased wage yet. Payroll said since they are located in every state they only have to follow the federal laws and not the state laws.  Is this true or should they be following state laws? We are prepared to get an attorney.
Chansomps

Server Wage Increase

Postby Garry » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:50 am

If you do business in the state of Missouri, the business in that state must abide by the laws of the state, if the law is greater than the Federal law.  Since the minimum wage is higher than the Federal minimum wage, your employer should be applying the new state law.   I could not find any information specifically for Server pay.  However if you believe that the new rate is $3.25 and you are not receiving that you can contact the Missouri Division of Labor Standards.  No lawyer is necessary.  573-751-3403 or [email protected] to file a complaint.
Garry

Return to Labor Laws