Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   


Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Septic Shock After Surgery

Discussions relating to Personal Injury Law

Septic Shock After Surgery

Postby Zachary » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:03 am

I will try to be brief and to the point. My mom, aged 63, went in for gallbladder removal. She was sent home after surgery, i took her home, was there frequently and she was not getting any better, very very weak and in lots of pain, throwing up and diarrhea were same smell and color. 10 days after surgery she was found unconscious, upside down in her bathtub, she fell off toilet. 4 hours later i got a call she was septic. She had a 5 hour surgery to remove a large part of her abdominal wall which was dead and some of her small intestine. She is left with an open area, quite large in her belly with sponge like stuff in there to drain the fluid. The surgeon that did the drainage and removal told me that during the gallbladder removal, which was laprasopic, the surgeon nicked her bowel and she had fecal matter in her stomach and everywhere in her body. She is on a ventalator and 12 different medicines, vitamins, painkillers, etc. She needs to have surgeries every 2 days to remove dead tissue. I would like to know if i should be seeking a lawyer as I have read that a thorough check of the bowel is the last thing to be done before ending the gallbladder surgery? thank you for any and all information you can give me.

i am her daugher.
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:16 am

Septic Shock After Surgery

Postby Bartlet » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:11 am

I get lots of medical malpractice inquiries and I would say that out of 50 of them, I might suggest to maybe 3 or 4 of them that they may have a case and should contact a local medical malpractice attorney. Your mother is in that group in my opinion. But then I noticed that you are in Canada and if the surgery occured there, it is a whole different ballgame. It is far more difficult if not impossible to sue for medical malpractice in Canada. I do not know the rules but you should certainly contact a Canadian lawyer. I have a close friend/lawyer in Vancouver that I might refer you to. Let me know. If the surgery was in the US, you need to contact a lawyer in the area where your mom is. If by chance in California, let me know.
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:19 am

Return to Personal Injury Law


  • Related topics
    Last post