Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Second Right Of Inurnment

Discuss anything relating to Consumer Law

Postby Curney » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:48 am

Cynthia My mom just recently passed and her funeral expenses were paid back in 01.  After the ceremony we were contacted by the cemetery and advised that we would have to pay to open and close the plot. She was cremated and to be placed in the same lot as her Mother.  I am looking over the receipt from 01, at which time she paid for her mother and had a fee of $500 for a second right of inurnment fee. What is this fee?  My Mother always said that her entire funeral was paid for.  I am wondering why they want to bill us another $1300 for opening and closing costs.  What was the $500 for, just a right to use her mothers plot? because looking at her mothers fees, her interment fee was only $470.  If you could shed some light on the second right of inurnment fee.  Thanks Brian
Curney

Postby Moses » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:34 am

Hi Brian,

It's not at all uncommon for someone to purchase a right of interment - the right to bury a body or cremated remains and enjoy legal protection of that right(see below) - and assume their funeral 'expenses' are all taken care of. The rights rarely include the costs associated with the burial, especially since those costs may be incurred decades in the future. Your mother COULD have pre-paid interment fees if the cemetery accepted advance purchases, but many cemeteries didn't because of the extra paperwork or regulations. The cemeteries ARE expected to inform purchasers that there will be digging, service and administrative costs at the time of interment, and the deed probably contained that language, but your mother may not have taken that in at the time.

Because the costs of interment are constantly rising, and because the expense is inevitable and will be many times higher at the time of use than when the interment right is sold, many cemeteries don't even encourage their customers to pre-pay these costs, because they'll make more money if they don't.(This tendency is reinforced when groups like the Funeral Consumers Alliance discourage pre-payment; I generally like the group but they're wrong on this one.) Unfortunately, waiting til use puts a large and sudden burden on a family when the day actually arrives. I'm sorry this one hit you!

INTERMENT RIGHTS - FYI

Generally, each person interred(buried) requires a "right of interment" - that is, a right granted by the cemetery to bury human remains in a given area of ground. The first right of interment usually secures the plot area for the purchaser so that no one else can bury within it. A second right is for a burial in the same lot; a cremation burial will often be permitted on top of a prior casket burial, for example - or there might be two cremation rights, with the first right(the most expensive one) being consumed first, and the second right used later.

"Second rights" for an inurnment are a relatively new development, coinciding with the rise of cremation. Prior to that, "companion plots" were often sold, with the idea that a grave would hold two caskets. Therefore, the first was dug double-depth(9 feet or so) so that the second casket could be placed 4-6 feet down on top of the first. The cost of the "second right" was collected in the "Double Depth" digging fee or the "companion" right and so wasn't too visible at the time.

Each time a right is consumed - i.e., someone gets buried - the cemetery generally charges an interment fee to cover all the costs related to putting someone in the ground and keeping them there. There will often be a recording fee to create a file, maintain it for decades(or centuries), and make the record available to family members researching their history.

If two interment rights - a first and a second - are used at different times, there will be two interment fees. When two people are interred together, a first and second right are still usually required, but there's only one interment fee(unless the individuals require two separate holes.) Sometimes a couple will be buried in a "companion" urn, their ashes co-mingled in a larger(400Ci or so) container. This eliminates the need for a second container, and saves a little more money.

Second rights really help the cemetery take care of its grounds, and - especially in the case of older cemeteries, where plots often sold for 5.00, 25.00 or 100.00 - since there's usually very little money available to care for those prior graves, selling second rights is very useful for the cemetery, and for all the family members who want to see the cemetery kept up!

So, the answer is 'yes' - the $500.00 purchased the second right(we offer even more supplemental rights for cremation at our cemeteries). And yes, the old interment fee was 470.00 and the new one is 1300.00 - and if your mother had pre-paid her interment fee at the time(if it had been allowed), it would have cost 470.00 and been paid up, instead of costing you 1300.00 now. And FYI - the 470.00 was probably below cost of delivery at the time, and the 1300.00 probably is more accurately reflecting the cemetery's current costs, since oodles of people buried there before your mother probably weren't charged enough to keep the cemetery up properly, so new cemetery customers are footing the past customers' bills as well as their own. This situation will only increase, so if you plan on being buried in that cemetery, consider getting rights and paying fees now -- unless you've figured out how not to die, or don't want your family history clustered in a cemetery for future generations of your kin to experience.

Hope that helps!

best,

Cynthia(you can look over my past answers and see some of that discussion in more depth)

Funerals: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Funerals-1739/indexExp_125741.htm

Cemeteries: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cemetery
Moses

Postby Kirby » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:13 am

Cynthia My mom just recently passed and her funeral expenses were paid back in 01.  After the ceremony we were contacted by the cemetery and advised that we would have to pay to open and close the plot. She was cremated and to be placed in the same lot as her Mother.  I am looking over the receipt from 01, at which time she paid for her mother and had a fee of $500 for a second right of inurnment fee. What is this fee?  My Mother always said that her entire funeral was paid for.  I am wondering why they want to bill us another $1300 for opening and closing costs.  What was the $500 for, just a right to use her mothers plot? because looking at her mothers fees, her interment fee was only $470.  If you could shed some light on the second right of inurnment fee.  Thanks Brian
Kirby

Return to Consumer Law