Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Rusty Mosler, Bahmann, Co Safe

Discuss Labor Laws

Postby Rolando » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:28 am

Should I remove the rust from the sides, back, top and bottom to help preserve the safe? It belonged to my Grandfather who died in 1906.I'm 73. All the paint detailing is gone except on the front(which is not great, but readable). Safe front details: My grandfathers name - Mosler, Bahmann & Co. - Cin. Ohio - Warner, Stockbridge & Co., Ag'ts - Rochester, NY - Ser. # on the knob 10969 - Sargent Green Leaf - Rochester, NY - Pat'd Sep. 15, 1860, Jan. 5, 1881, July 14, 1871(on the dial). I would love to have the front restored to show the mountain country picture. You're imput is appreciated.

ANSWER: Peter,

Based on your serial number, I would put your safe between 1875-1880.

Gustav Mosler, 1816-1874, a newspaper editor in Austria, immigrated to Cincinnati in the 1840's. He and Fred Bahmann founded the Mosler-Bahman Safe Company with a factory on Pearl Street in Cincinnati in 1867. The following web address illustrates how beautiful some of the old Mosler-Bahmann safes were.http://www.glswrk-auction.com/mc05.htm

You have several options to restore your safe.

1.  Have professionals restore it, most expensive but usually stunning results.  Check with local antique dealers for art restoration people.  And local custom cabinet makers.

2.  Do it your self, some cost, probably will take the longest, may not be a master piece, but it will be your safe!

3.  Possibly engage a local high school or community college art department to take the safe on as a restoration project.  Similarly, the wood shop department may take on the interior cabinetry as a restoration project.  

Upside most of the labor will be free, you might only have to purchase materials, may take several semisters.

Irregardless of your restoration plans, take lots of detailed photos of the existing art work.  Not only will these help in the restoration but they will be come part of the historical documentation of the safe for the future.

As far as the interior cabinetry goes, you have a couple of options.  Keep the design and structure either original or as close to original as possible.  Or, build a custom interior to be utilized for your personnal display ideas.  For instance if you liked cigars, you could include a custom made humidor.  If you like an occasional glass of wine, build in a small display and storage area for your wine.  If you are going to have the safe in your billards room, you could have custom shelving or pull outs for your different racks of billard balls.  Get the idea?   A custom interior doesn't necessarily take away from the overall value, in fact it may add value because of its uniqueness.

Hope you liked the pictures of the Mosler-Bahmann safe I referenced earlier.  If you have more questions let me know.

Andy

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Andy - Thank you for the prompt answer!!

Are the scenes that are painted on the door "off the shelf" or ar they unique to the individual safe? I would like to have it returned to it's original look. Can I find another just like it? Thanks, Peter
Rolando

Postby Darcio » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:20 am

Should I remove the rust from the sides, back, top and bottom to help preserve the safe? It belonged to my Grandfather who died in 1906.I'm 73. All the paint detailing is gone except on the front(which is not great, but readable). Safe front details: My grandfathers name - Mosler, Bahmann & Co. - Cin. Ohio - Warner, Stockbridge & Co., Ag'ts - Rochester, NY - Ser. # on the knob 10969 - Sargent Green Leaf - Rochester, NY - Pat'd Sep. 15, 1860, Jan. 5, 1881, July 14, 1871(on the dial). I would love to have the front restored to show the mountain country picture. You're imput is appreciated.

ANSWER: Peter,

Based on your serial number, I would put your safe between 1875-1880.

Gustav Mosler, 1816-1874, a newspaper editor in Austria, immigrated to Cincinnati in the 1840's. He and Fred Bahmann founded the Mosler-Bahman Safe Company with a factory on Pearl Street in Cincinnati in 1867. The following web address illustrates how beautiful some of the old Mosler-Bahmann safes were.http://www.glswrk-auction.com/mc05.htm

You have several options to restore your safe.

1.  Have professionals restore it, most expensive but usually stunning results.  Check with local antique dealers for art restoration people.  And local custom cabinet makers.

2.  Do it your self, some cost, probably will take the longest, may not be a master piece, but it will be your safe!

3.  Possibly engage a local high school or community college art department to take the safe on as a restoration project.  Similarly, the wood shop department may take on the interior cabinetry as a restoration project.  

Upside most of the labor will be free, you might only have to purchase materials, may take several semisters.

Irregardless of your restoration plans, take lots of detailed photos of the existing art work.  Not only will these help in the restoration but they will be come part of the historical documentation of the safe for the future.

As far as the interior cabinetry goes, you have a couple of options.  Keep the design and structure either original or as close to original as possible.  Or, build a custom interior to be utilized for your personnal display ideas.  For instance if you liked cigars, you could include a custom made humidor.  If you like an occasional glass of wine, build in a small display and storage area for your wine.  If you are going to have the safe in your billards room, you could have custom shelving or pull outs for your different racks of billard balls.  Get the idea?   A custom interior doesn't necessarily take away from the overall value, in fact it may add value because of its uniqueness.

Hope you liked the pictures of the Mosler-Bahmann safe I referenced earlier.  If you have more questions let me know.

Andy

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Andy - Thank you for the prompt answer!!

Are the scenes that are painted on the door "off the shelf" or ar they unique to the individual safe? I would like to have it returned to it's original look. Can I find another just like it? Thanks, Peter
Darcio

Postby Azania » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:07 am

Peter,

Pretty much every one was an original oil painting.  Some of the paintings were unique to the owner, some were just random oil paintings.

Generally, any interior art work would either mirror or be very similar to the exterior oil paintings.

Did you get a chance to check out the Mosler-Bahmann safe I referenced you to earlier?  What did you think?

Andy
Azania

Return to Labor Laws