Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Restore My Gun Rights For Home Defense Plea Deal Got Me A Felony On My Record

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby Mikhail » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:10 am

hi there, hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

in 1998 at the time i was 19yrs old living in a small town in Maryland, i was arrested for distribution of a small amount of marijuana. .25 of an ounce...   also 12 counts of parpahenalia charges manufacturing charges they wanted to tack on. my public defender convinced me to take a plea deal they offered to drop all charges if i plead guilty to the main charge selling the pot. i was young and stupid 1st offense and accepted.. i recieved no jail time but a 2yrs suspended sentence, so i had supervised probation, no problems, i think i have had 1 speeding ticket since then...  i have since moved to Florida and been living her e for the last 11yrs. i have a steady job with the state of florida. i am interested in purchasing a shotgun for purely home defense, and to take to a range to practice and know how to handle it. i have no interest in a concealed carry or owning a handgun ever at all..  i do not know where to start, everything i read is you can apply for restoration of rights, but do i apply where i live now or where i was arrested? then do i apply for fireamrs restrictions to be restored where i live now or back in Maryland.. and even if they give you your firearms restriction ban removed, the federal law overrides it anyway correct making it null and void so what is the use in even trying?   presidential pardon? probably a slim chance, does that even apply to somone in my case?   i understand keeping guns away from some felons, but everyone should have the right to defend their home and property..   if i can never own a gun, guess i'll have to settle for a baseball bat or machete by the bed, or would that be illegal as well? :(

ANSWER: No, you are restricted from owning any firearms including long guns until you receive full restoration of rights with no restrictions.  A pardon is considered restoration of rights it's just at the highest level.  You can get Executive Clemency with no restrictions also, it's covered under Federal Firearm code 18. U.S.C 921(A).  You must get this restoration from the state you was convicted in because Florida will not restore firearm rights for an out of state conviction.  The federal laws are the one that allow for states to restore our firearm rights.  It's the states that do most of the 2nd amendment violations not the Gov't.

Good Luck

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

ty for the quick reply, i found the address for the parole pardon board in MD i am writing them to request an application to apply for executive celemency? to restore my rights, which i think restoring my right to bear arms is a seperate process after i get my other civil rights restored.  if it is granted must i then apply for celemency again in florida where i now reside? or does that then make me able to purchase a shotgun for home defense?
Mikhail

Postby Karlens » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:00 pm

hi there, hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

in 1998 at the time i was 19yrs old living in a small town in Maryland, i was arrested for distribution of a small amount of marijuana. .25 of an ounce...   also 12 counts of parpahenalia charges manufacturing charges they wanted to tack on. my public defender convinced me to take a plea deal they offered to drop all charges if i plead guilty to the main charge selling the pot. i was young and stupid 1st offense and accepted.. i recieved no jail time but a 2yrs suspended sentence, so i had supervised probation, no problems, i think i have had 1 speeding ticket since then...  i have since moved to Florida and been living her e for the last 11yrs. i have a steady job with the state of florida. i am interested in purchasing a shotgun for purely home defense, and to take to a range to practice and know how to handle it. i have no interest in a concealed carry or owning a handgun ever at all..  i do not know where to start, everything i read is you can apply for restoration of rights, but do i apply where i live now or where i was arrested? then do i apply for fireamrs restrictions to be restored where i live now or back in Maryland.. and even if they give you your firearms restriction ban removed, the federal law overrides it anyway correct making it null and void so what is the use in even trying?   presidential pardon? probably a slim chance, does that even apply to somone in my case?   i understand keeping guns away from some felons, but everyone should have the right to defend their home and property..   if i can never own a gun, guess i'll have to settle for a baseball bat or machete by the bed, or would that be illegal as well? :(

ANSWER: No, you are restricted from owning any firearms including long guns until you receive full restoration of rights with no restrictions.  A pardon is considered restoration of rights it's just at the highest level.  You can get Executive Clemency with no restrictions also, it's covered under Federal Firearm code 18. U.S.C 921(A).  You must get this restoration from the state you was convicted in because Florida will not restore firearm rights for an out of state conviction.  The federal laws are the one that allow for states to restore our firearm rights.  It's the states that do most of the 2nd amendment violations not the Gov't.

Good Luck

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

ty for the quick reply, i found the address for the parole pardon board in MD i am writing them to request an application to apply for executive celemency? to restore my rights, which i think restoring my right to bear arms is a seperate process after i get my other civil rights restored.  if it is granted must i then apply for celemency again in florida where i now reside? or does that then make me able to purchase a shotgun for home defense?
Karlens

Postby Masson » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:08 am

No, If you are granted FULL restoration of rights meaning no restrictions then it has reciprocity in Florida.  You can apply for Florida Executive Clemency for GP but they will put a firearm restriction on it because you have an out of state conviction.

Good Luck
Masson

Return to Traffic Law