Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Residential Occupancy

Having a dispute with a tenant or landlord? Rental Law discussion

Residential Occupancy

Postby Jon » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:43 pm

Isn't there a law that requires separate sleeping quarters for children of different sexes? Example: A married couple with a daughter 12 and son 14 don't they need separate bedrooms?
Jon

Residential Occupancy

Postby Haneul » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:25 pm

Verneda -

This question comes up a lot, but I've been unable to find such a law here in California.

As a non-lawyer, it appears to me that legislators are extremely wishy-washy on fair housing laws when it comes to occupancy questions, especially when it comes to children.

I found the following question in a Washington State web site that discusses fair housing.  The response is based upon US Department of Housing and Urban Development regulations, so it applies everywhere:

52. A couple with a 10-year-old son and a 13-year-old daughter wanted to rent a two bedroom unit. We told them they need another bedroom because two children of opposite sexes can't be in the same room. Don't HUD rules allow us to do that?

No. At one point, HUD had a rule in its subsidized housing that addressed children of opposite sexes, but HUD NO LONGER HAS THAT RULE. Denying a unit to a family because they have children of opposite sexes is a direct violation of the fair housing laws based both on familial status and sex.

I hope this helps.

John
Haneul

Residential Occupancy

Postby Waylan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:42 am

Isn't there a law that requires separate sleeping quarters for children of different sexes? Example: A married couple with a daughter 12 and son 14 don't they need separate bedrooms?
Waylan

Return to Rental Law