Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Questions

Having a dispute with a tenant or landlord? Rental Law discussion

Questions

Postby Cori » Sun May 01, 2016 3:05 am

s SubjectDate AskedExpertTenant sleeping in basement5/17/2014Mike Fortunato  Q: I rent out a 1 1/2 story house(my old house before moving to a bigger one due to my growing family) ...   A: Jim, Yes, I suppose you could be cited by the city, and yes, as the owner of the property you would ... Sell or Rent Out Condo?5/16/2014John Souerbry  Q: I am currently in process of buying a new home(in escrow). My family and have been living in a 2 ...   A: I don't like condos as investments unless they're in an area where they are in extremely high ... repairs5/7/2014John Souerbry  Q: How long does the facility have to fix and replace broken issues in your unit?   A: Unless your lease has a specific response time, it's usually determined by the the maintenance item. ... Homeowner and Property Management dispute5/3/2014Donald J. Leske II  Q: A major real estate chain was my property manager for a single family house I own and was renting ...   A: I am glad to help, if I can. I must say that I am not an Attorney and cannot give legal advice on ... Escrow deposits4/16/2014Stefani Nachatilo  Q: When tenants escrow deposits are held in a separate account just for deposits and part of the ...   A: Any forfeited deposits are definitely income to the owner. If you are using qickbooks, you can ... It has been at least 15 years !3/28/2014Doug Chasick, The Apartment Doctor  Q: Doug I remember you from Vinings Group! You were so fun especially with the funny glasses/big nose ...   A: Wow - long time is right - so nice to be remembered and to hear from you! Your company website is ... Reassignment of a lease3/14/2014Mike Fortunato  Q: My son took over a business at a commercial property as an assignee with the lessee and landlords ...   A: Yes, the original Lessee usually must sign on the basis that they are still a responsible party to ... property manger3/2/2014Mike Fortunato  Q: Our property manager was "let go" do to issues that are too numerous to go into. We hired a new one ...   A: Since you are the landlord, most likely you would be the primary responsible person to your tenant ... Condo - Windows2/17/2014Mike Fortunato  Q: The windows in my condo are very drafty. Is it the condo association's responsibility to caulk the ...   A: You will need to check the CC&Rs for your particular association to determine the answer to that ... lease, maintenance repairs1/16/2014Donald J. Leske II  Q: I am a FL tenant in good standing with four months left on my lease. My question is: how can I get ...   A: I have seen this happen before many times. You MUST read your lease for the terms and conditions of ... 1st step to become a license Prop. Mgr1/4/2014Mike Fortunato  Q: Aloha, Emailing you from the Aloha State on the outer island of Kauai. I am wanting to get ...   A: I'm not sure what the rules are in your state. Here in CA, you must be a licensed real estate agent ... Beginner question11/30/2013Stefani Nachatilo  Q: I live in PA and want to work towards a real estate broker license; are there any accredited online ...   A: In Oklahoma where I live, we have a school that has all kinds of ways to get a license. You can ... Management Company / Fiduciary Responsibility10/22/2013Mike Fortunato  Q: I own a condominium in Virginia. The condo association contracted with a new company to manage the ...   A: Not sure where there would be a violation of any fiduciary responsibility. If you feel the late fee ... Property Manager Issue10/19/2013K. David Meit, CPM  Q: Our Pennsylvania Home Owner Association hired a new property manager after interviewing him and also ...   A: Nick, Thank you for your question. Sounds like your HOA has had an interesting time and hopefully ... HARRASMENT10/15/2013Mike Fortunato  Q: Good evening, I am a single mother of twin boys. I have had a rough time since I came to the state ...   A: I'm not sure how to answer your question, other than to say that if you are in full compliance of ... Property Management10/7/2013Doug Chasick, The Apartment Doctor  Q: I need to find a property manager in Grand Junction, Colorado. Can you point me in the right ...   A: While I don't know any property management firms out there well enough to recommend one, I can ... buying a duplex, tenants won't leave9/9/2013Mike Fortunato  Q: I am in the process of buying a duplex in Ohio so that my elderly mother will have a much safer, ...   A: The tenant will need to be evicted, and that should be memorialized as part of the sale documents to ... 3-day notice8/9/2013Stefani Nachatilo  Q: Is there a form available for giving a tenant, delinquent on rent, a 3-day Notice to Pay or Quit the ...   A: I'm not sure where you are located and the laws in your state might be different than mine. I would ... No response or results from P.M. rep about landscaper issue8/9/2013Mike Fortunato  Q: I recently emailed the P.M. community 'rep' for my HOA who is the listed contact for all issues ...   A: I suggest writing a certified letter with your concerns, and send to the property manager, and each ... security deposit being used to replace kitchen counter-top7/24/2013Mike Fortunato  Q: This is for state of MN. I had a walk thr' with the manager of our apt. complex. That time she told ...   A: I'm not an attorney so I can't give legal advice, nor am I familiar with the real estate regulations ... how to dispute7/13/2013Mike Fortunato  Q: My family and I had rented from a rental management company in NM for the past three years. Upon ...   A: This is probably the most common question I receive. I always recommend taking pictures on move-in, ... Rental Property Owner Statement7/1/2013John Souerbry  Q: I am using quickbooks to create property owner statements as part of property management company. I ...   A: Antonio - The "Statement of Cash Flows" in Quickbooks provides a beginning and ending cash balance ... electrical code compliance6/26/2013Mike Fortunato  Q: We are in the process of renting our mother's house(she'e in a senior living place) and have some ...   A: I would be remiss if I didn't mention that this is one of many reasons to consider professional ... owners rights to peace and quiet6/15/2013Mike Fortunato  Q: I own a condo on the ground(walk-in) level. I am in my 60's and I am disabled former hospice ...   A: Unfortunately, as the saying goes, you can't pick your neighbors. And in a condo or apartment ... 3day Notice to pay or quit6/7/2013Mike Fortunato  Q: I recently texted my landlord who has defaulted on his mortage loan(past due over a year and notice ...   A: A 3-Day Notice hardly seems appropriate if you have already vacated the property, so I'm not sure ... Problems with Public Housing Authority(Sec 8 Voucher Payments)6/4/2013Donald J. Leske II  Q: I am having problems with a public housing authority and want to know what steps to take IF the ...   A: --- Hello Craig, I must say that I am not Licensed to do business in DC and I am not an Attorney, ... Fair Housing Certificate5/2/2013Doug Chasick, The Apartment Doctor  Q: I attended your course on 4/23/13 in Richmond and can't seem to locate where to go to on the site to ...   A: Since VAMA sponsored the event, you'll have to contact them for the certificate. I'll forward this ... landlord responsibility vs. indemnification clause5/2/2013Mike Fortunato  Q: I moved out with 6 weeks left on lease. Paid advanced rent in full. Recieved almost all of my ...   A: That's a question that will need to be answered by a real estate attorney. I would imagine if your ... Deeding to an LLC4/3/2013Mike Fortunato  Q: When purchasing a rental property using a mortgage under my name, how long do I need to wait after ...   A: There's no hard and fast rule on that, but you may encounter one or both of the following issues: ... Property Management4/1/2013Stefani Nachatilo  Q: I have managed my rental home for a few years now and would like to start a property management ...   A: but I'm in Oklahoma too.(Oklahoma city) Unfortunately, there is no legal way around the sponsorship ... Managing owner's property as employee3/28/2013Doug Chasick, The Apartment Doctor  Q: It has always been my understanding that if you were working for the owner of a property as an ...   A: That is my understanding and experience as well, and the place to look to confirm that would be the ... Key west condo3/11/2013Donald J. Leske II  Q: We recently inherited a condo in key west,fla. We live in ohio. The condo manager has been less ...   A: --- Hi Tim, HOLY COW... $6,000 a month rent? That more than warrants a forensic audit, or even chat ... Key west condo3/11/2013John Souerbry  Q: We recently inherited a condo in key west,Fla. We live in Ohio. We have a feeling the property ...   A: Unfortunately, you situation is common among out-of-town owners. Here are solutions I have ...
Risk Mgmt Rental Condo3/7/2013Mike Fortunato  Q: Good day I got the following questions with reference to risk management and renting out of my ...   A: In the case of hiring a handyman, you would be better off hiring a maintenance company that carries ...
on Risk Management Rental3/7/2013Donald J. Leske II  Q: Good day I got the following questions with reference to risk management and renting out of my ...   A: --- Hello Mahabir, I am not an Attorney and licensed only in Washington State, so this is not ... 3/7/2013K. David Meit, CPM  Q: Good day I got the following questions with reference to risk management and renting out of my ...   A: S. Mahabir, The risks you bring up may be mitigated through contracts and insurance. I suggest you ... Non Renewal of Lease in Florida2/23/2013Donald J. Leske II  Q: I have been a resident at this community for 3 years. Good Years. The property recently was sold and ...   A: ... Hello Randy, I was a tenant at one time myself and I got SCREWED by my landlord, that is why I ... Query on Renting2/20/2013K. David Meit, CPM  Q: Good day With reference to the renting out of a townhome for the first time I have the following ...   A: S. Mahabir: 1. The Owner of the property is likely responsible for unpaid utility bills if a ... 2/20/2013Donald J. Leske II  Q: Good day With reference to the renting out of a townhome for the first time I have the following ...   A: ---- Hello Mahabir, I am not licensed to do business in your state and I am not an Attorney, nor do ... s.2/20/2013Stefani Nachatilo  Q: Good day With reference to the renting out of a townhome for the first time I have the following ...   A: 1 - when a tenant contracts for water or electricity the contract is between the provider of the ... Page:  

|  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next

All
Cori

Questions

Postby Sacheverell » Tue May 03, 2016 5:45 am

s SubjectDate AskedExpertFarm Management4/19/2016Mike Fortunato  Q: Are there property management companies that manage farms? If so, how does a farm owner locate one? ...   A: Unfortunately in our area there aren't many farms so I'm not sure. I would try an internet search ... Lease obligation1/21/2016Mike Fortunato  Q: I currently rent a private condo through a property management company. My first lease expired ...   A: Based on what you described, and assuming there is no automatic renewal clause or option to extend ... Rental question1/6/2016Donald J. Leske II  Q: I have a couple questions. My situation is that I am planning a move from Alabama to the NYC area ...   A: First I must state that I am not licensed to do business in your state and cannot give legal advice. ... Property damages by landlord vendors1/3/2016Adam L. Greenberg CPS  Q: Back in October of this year, our home was flooded due to rain. We were renting a property from an ...   A: In any event, this opinion is based on my 25 years of experience in residential and commercial real ... Personal property damage1/3/2016Mike Fortunato  Q: Back in October of this year, our home was flooded due to rain. We were renting a property from an ...   A: First thing I would do is amend the claim with your personal property insurance company. They can ... Rental property and damages1/3/2016Donald J. Leske II  Q: Back in October of this year, our home was flooded due to rain. We were renting a property from an ...   A: First of all let me say that I am not an Attorney and cannot give legal advice, plus I am not ... Rental property in California12/6/2015Mike Fortunato  Q: I live in the San Fernando Valley, located in southern CA. I'm trying to figure out if it makes ...   A: First, investing in SoCal will likely always be a worthwhile consideration, IF the numbers work out. ... Firing Property Manager10/14/2015Mike Fortunato  Q: Unfortunately we are using a property manager who in the last four years has failed to pay our real ...   A: Tony, 1. You should first issue a demand letter stating the reason you feel she is responsible, ... apartments problem10/8/2015Mike Fortunato  Q: K im in texas and i recently paid app fee deposit.to hold my apartment.i was told the apt was to be ...   A: I don't have much information to go by, but based on what you wrote, if you have not yet signed a ... Pest control on rental property9/30/2015Donald J. Leske II  Q: I'm trying to find out if my landlord is responsible for providing pest control services under the ...   A: I am not Licensed in California although I lived there for many years. Also I am not an Attorney so ... Rental advice9/7/2015Adam L. Greenberg CPS  Q: I applied for an apartment and before getting approved I paid 700$ for them to hold it, I won't have ...   A: Please note this updated answer, revised for clarity: I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but just ... Exterior window cleaning8/11/2015Mike Fortunato  Q: I live in a high-rise apartment building(15+ floors). Is it the tenant or the landlord's ...   A: That would ordinarily be the landlord's maintenance responsibility in the type of building you ... Excessive noise from neighbors7/20/2015Mike Fortunato  Q: Fortunato, I truly hope you can help me. I live in Vladeck Housing Projects on the Lower East ...   A: I get this question a lot, and almost always the best approach is to personally speak with the ... Adding daughter to lease7/17/2015Mike Fortunato  Q: My fiance is pregnant(she is on lease) and we are expecting our daughter soon(due date is July ...   A: Jared, you should first check your lease to determine if there's a provision for additional rent ... Excessive noise from neighbors7/15/2015Donald J. Leske II  Q: Leske, I live in a pretty good neighborhood projects in Manhattan with my mother and father. It's ...   A: --- Hello David, I like your question, in fact i think it would be good for you copy/paste your ... Edit online Lease6/26/2015Mike Fortunato  Q: I was planning on re-newing an apartment lease and the management sent me an online lease though ...   A: The lease wouldn't be official until the landlord signed it as well, so most likely they would catch ... Eviction Extension, etc.6/19/2015Mike Fortunato  Q: I live in Rockwall County, TX in my grandmother's home(she lives elsewhere). There is no written ...   A: Well, I'm sure you won't like the answer, but no....you do not have any legal grounds to extend ... Expired Contract6/9/2015Donald J. Leske II  Q: I was renting a home for 3.5 years. The most recent lease expired in Nove,ber of 2014. Three months ...   A: First thank you for your inquiry. I must disclose that I am not an Attorney nor am I licensed in ... Who pays the HOA4/22/2015Mike Fortunato  Q: I have a me that I've had to rent. I paid the HOA myself for one year. I have not worked since ...   A: I'm not clear on your first sentence, but I will assume you are the owner of a unit within n ... Do I have the grounds to ask for my money back and rent somewhere else?3/23/2015Adam L. Greenberg CPS  Q: Im a university student in a private institution. Our res fees are just as high as our actual ...   A: You got lucky, or maybe not, depending on your point of view. Not only am I recently-retired real ... Release Credit Liabillity3/14/2015Mike Fortunato  Q: I live in Los Angeles. My friend doesn't have a good credit score. So I let her use my credit score ...   A: You should serve the landlord with a letter(must be in writing) giving your 30-day notice to ... apartment app. fees3/8/2015Mike Fortunato  Q: I'm 63 and have lived in the same apartment for over 20 years, I know. I have an excellent credit ...   A: First thing I would recommend is to check and see if that offense is still on record, and if so, ... HAndicap Parking Space Usage3/5/2015Mike Fortunato  Q: I design tall towers...This is not about my Projects but my temporary residence in a rental complex, ...   A: I'm not aware of any ADA regulation that imposes time limits on how long a handicapped space can be ... Can a landlord decide not to renew your lease for no reason?2/11/2015Donald J. Leske II  Q: My question is, does a landlord need to give you a reason as to why they are not renewing your ...   A: Yes they have the right and they DO NOT have to explain, but you most likely know already that it is ... Carpet cleaning2/4/2015Mike Fortunato  Q: Mike- New at renting houses as we are renting our old house after moving to a new one about 2 years ...   A: Most likely, you're on the correct side of this. The tenants would be responsible for any damages ... lease renewal negotiation1/30/2015Mike Fortunato  Q: i've been living in my current apartment for 7+ years. recently, i had a weekend battle with a ...   A: Wow...no way in the world would I renew a lease where there's that kind of a rodent infestation in ... Slum Lord1/29/2015Mike Fortunato  Q: I have a question regarding my managment company. They own the apt. building I am currently renting. ...   A: I recommend putting your maintenance concerns(particularly the roof leaks) in writing(instead of ... Security deposit & last month rent...refund?1/4/2015Donald J. Leske II  Q: When we moved into the rental home we are now living in, we payed first and last months rent. A day ...   A: You did not say if the landlord is breaking your lease due to the sale, or did he give you proper ... repars1/4/2015Donald J. Leske II  Q: My ceallin has been leaking for over 7mounths and i have told my landlord bout this countles times ...   A: REPAIRS - Most all states have Landlord Tenant Laws, but I do not know what state you are in. I am ... Out of state owner vrs Property management11/3/2014Adam L. Greenberg CPS  Q: Having problems with my out of state home, the word is the refrigerator is not working and the ...   A: I've been in both the position of lessee and agent-for-owner. I've also recently left real-estate ... Door damage, tenant was to fix10/12/2014Donald J. Leske II  Q: Had a lady move into our rental house in the spring of this year. In the process of moving in a ...   A: It is GOOD to see an owner ask questions and welcome to the fray. I must disclose that I am not ... Vacant Land10/4/2014Mike Fortunato  Q: I have been told that I have new neighbors in Guffey, CO(Park County) that have "items" on my ...   A: You can try contacting the police to have them removed for trespassing. However, they may require ... about to rent new apartment9/30/2014Mike Fortunato  Q: We viewed a towhouse in August that was advertised at $1400/month(I still have a screen capture of ...   A: Your intuition is probably correct. Although probably not an illegal move, the way you describe the ... Is it legal?9/18/2014Adam L. Greenberg CPS  Q: I have had a trellis in front of my home for over 10 years, now I get a letter stating I must remove ...   A: The best answer is, "Maybe." I recently saw a piece on a show like 20/20 that showed a small item ... Homeowners association9/18/2014Mike Fortunato  Q: I have had a trellis in front of my home for over 10 years, now I get a letter stating I must remove ...   A: If the trellis isn't in violation of the association rules, then you probably don't need to remove ... What to do aout my tenant9/18/2014Mike Fortunato  Q: Mr. Fortunato, I am a Norfolk,Va. resident who is renting a home to a tenant in Hampton, Va. I ...   A: I'm in California and not familiar with VA laws so my help will be limited. My suggestion is to ... Brokers license required to run a property management firm ?9/12/2014Mike Fortunato  Q: Can a real estate associate start and run his own private property management firm serving Home ...   A: For most property management functions, a broker's license is required. Oddly enough, the one area ... small claims court9/10/2014Mike Fortunato  Q: I am a property owner in Hawaii. My last tenant took me to small claims court in HI and apparently ...   A: I'm sorry, but this question is better asked to an attorney, and probably one that is familiar with ... suing myproperty management company for mishandling funds9/9/2014Mike Fortunato  Q: I have been a resident of this management company almost 10 year no and never really had major ...   A: Housing assistance funding can be complex and ever changing, so you really need to get your case ... going from renting to selling...9/2/2014John Souerbry  Q: Souerbry, First of all, thank you very much for volunteering on this site! Brief background: We ...   A: Pablo, Without reading your property management contract, I can't know what your obligations are to ... Page:  

|  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next

All
Sacheverell

Return to Rental Law