Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Questions On Applying For Police Officer...

Been involved in a traffic accident? Discuss traffic laws here

Postby westbroc90 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:28 am

s on applying for police officer... Advertisement Expert: Chris Wagoner - 10/13/2008

Your question was I was getting ready to apply to become a police officer this spring and had a few questions...

here are my questions..

1.Should i be ok on the application/screening/background/polygraph?

The only thing i have ever done wrong is a few speeding tickets, along with a misdemeanor larceny that i was charged with, but not convicted...as there was a misunderstanding and it was expunged...that was almost a year ago....i don't do drugs, never did, i don't smoke, and i don't drink alcohol ever....i have never been cited for anything other than a few traffic violations...i have only 1 speeding ticket in the last 3 years....i have a few, 1 or 2 things that have my credit low.....but that about all...anything i can do to make my chances better or is this ok?

1 of the things on my credit was when i was younger, and of course stupid when it came to life and responsibilities...

2.how long typically is the polygraph review from time of arrival to end when i leave, and how long is the oral interview with or without the board?

3.should i do BLET with the local college to increase my chances of hire anywhere? 4.What are police hiring procedures if i had BLET certification? and will college help me?

thanks in advance for the help..
westbroc90

Postby Justino » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:59 pm

s on applying for police officer... Advertisement Expert: Chris Wagoner - 10/13/2008

Your question was I was getting ready to apply to become a police officer this spring and had a few questions...

here are my questions..

1.Should i be ok on the application/screening/background/polygraph?

The only thing i have ever done wrong is a few speeding tickets, along with a misdemeanor larceny that i was charged with, but not convicted...as there was a misunderstanding and it was expunged...that was almost a year ago....i don't do drugs, never did, i don't smoke, and i don't drink alcohol ever....i have never been cited for anything other than a few traffic violations...i have only 1 speeding ticket in the last 3 years....i have a few, 1 or 2 things that have my credit low.....but that about all...anything i can do to make my chances better or is this ok?

1 of the things on my credit was when i was younger, and of course stupid when it came to life and responsibilities...

2.how long typically is the polygraph review from time of arrival to end when i leave, and how long is the oral interview with or without the board?

3.should i do BLET with the local college to increase my chances of hire anywhere? 4.What are police hiring procedures if i had BLET certification? and will college help me?

thanks in advance for the help..
Justino

Postby Jorrel » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:02 pm

Hey Corey,

While your background will not keep you from being hired, it will make it harder to get hired. With that said whatever you do to make yourself more marketable will improve your chances. Going to college and getting a degree, even a two year, and putting yourself through the academy will greatly improve your chances. In addition it would give you some time between your "larceny" charge, and tickets and your application.

Some agencies require a few years(3-5) between any application and any criminal charges. Also some require a clean driving record for a minimum of 2-3 years. SO you could get your college in between now and when you apply.

Polygraphs run about 30-45 minutes and Oral boards can vary in length depending on the agency. I have sat on ones that ran 30 minutes and some that ran about an hour. SO it depends on the agency.

Here is what increases your chances:

Clean record for at least 5 years

Clean driving record for 3-7 years

College Degree or at least some college credits

Certification of BLE training.

Good credit record

Knowledge of the agency your trying to be hired at(mission statement, size, divisions, units, etc.)

Hope that helps..

Be well...
Jorrel

Return to Traffic Law