Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Research Law Professors Before Choosing Law Schools

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Question relating to the expungement process in Texas, pharmacy technicians, and marijuana law in Colorado.?

Defamation Law Discussion Forum

Question relating to the expungement process in Texas, pharmacy technicians, and marijuana law in Colorado.?

Postby tonibraxton » Tue May 01, 2012 5:01 pm

I understand that this topic covers a broad variety of subjects, and I do not expect to find all my answers in one place. Therefore, any substantiated answers to the provided questions are highly appreciated.

Here's my scenario: I currently live in Texas, and approximately 2 years ago I received two class C misdemeanors. I received and completed deferred adjudication for both charges. I recently formed a resolve to take a test to become a certified pharmacy technician (until I figure out what I want to do) and move to Colorado.

1 ) Unfortunately, there is a criminal background check that is processed (I assume) by the licensing organization. As class C misdemeanors, I think I have to wait something like 5 years since the date of the incident before the licensing organization will look past those charges, and that is far too long. From my research, I believe that I am eligible to have those records expunged, and essentially I am looking for someone who can confirm this under my circumstances, and if at all possible point me in the right direction for beginning that process.

2) My next question is a theoretical. Let's say everything goes as planned - I'm a pharmacy technician living in Colorado. For a state like Texas, someone in a similar job position would be subject to drug testing. I do not do hard drugs or pills, I don't smoke cigarettes and I scarcely drink - but I do smoke marijuana. My question then, naturally, is would I be prohibited from ingesting THC under this job position in Colorado? My government prof told us the other day that some legislation was recently passed legalizing cannabis in all of Colorado, as compared to only Denver previously. I would be willing to quit smoking for a somewhat decent job, but logic would dictate that I would be permitted to smoke under those circumstances. This theoretical assumes that I am not "stoned" at work, and that I have a medical marijuana card. Could anyone enlighten me with concrete evidence?

Please do not regurgitate propaganda borne from racism and greed as to criticize the lifestyle I would like to create. I'm not asking if you think my desires are moral :P

Once again, a preemptive thanks to any concrete, substantiated information anyone can present on any of these topics!!
tonibraxton

Postby edin » Tue May 01, 2012 5:09 pm

I understand that this topic covers a broad variety of subjects, and I do not expect to find all my answers in one place. Therefore, any substantiated answers to the provided questions are highly appreciated.

Here's my scenario: I currently live in Texas, and approximately 2 years ago I received two class C misdemeanors. I received and completed deferred adjudication for both charges. I recently formed a resolve to take a test to become a certified pharmacy technician (until I figure out what I want to do) and move to Colorado.

1 ) Unfortunately, there is a criminal background check that is processed (I assume) by the licensing organization. As class C misdemeanors, I think I have to wait something like 5 years since the date of the incident before the licensing organization will look past those charges, and that is far too long. From my research, I believe that I am eligible to have those records expunged, and essentially I am looking for someone who can confirm this under my circumstances, and if at all possible point me in the right direction for beginning that process.

2) My next question is a theoretical. Let's say everything goes as planned - I'm a pharmacy technician living in Colorado. For a state like Texas, someone in a similar job position would be subject to drug testing. I do not do hard drugs or pills, I don't smoke cigarettes and I scarcely drink - but I do smoke marijuana. My question then, naturally, is would I be prohibited from ingesting THC under this job position in Colorado? My government prof told us the other day that some legislation was recently passed legalizing cannabis in all of Colorado, as compared to only Denver previously. I would be willing to quit smoking for a somewhat decent job, but logic would dictate that I would be permitted to smoke under those circumstances. This theoretical assumes that I am not "stoned" at work, and that I have a medical marijuana card. Could anyone enlighten me with concrete evidence?

Please do not regurgitate propaganda borne from racism and greed as to criticize the lifestyle I would like to create. I'm not asking if you think my desires are moral :P

Once again, a preemptive thanks to any concrete, substantiated information anyone can present on any of these topics!!
I have no idea who told you what you stated.
The medical field has no such restrictions when it comes to background checks, they can go back as far as they like.
Weed is not legal in any state, so you need a new Prof, if you are referring to medical weed again no employer is required to hire if you use weed.
Expunged does not mean erased it means it will not show up in a routine background check however certain professions will always be able to see your expunged record, the medical field is one of them and to top it off a drug conviction will preclude you from ever handling prescription drugs.
edin

Return to Defamation Law