Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Question about speed bumps on private properties?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Postby advent » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:42 pm

Currently, my family and i live in a small town house complex in the GTA. We had been informed recently that there were many poor drivers in our area and they had suggested to put speed bumps throughout our complex. I was fine with the thought, as on many occasions ive seen reckless drives speeding about and its concerning when we have a park where are children play at. However, yesterday some workers began to install them on our roads, and to my dismay, two of the speed bumps are literally less than a metre from my own drive way. Now, i have trouble driving into my property and difficulty coming out of it. Im completely furious as they did not even attempt to give consent to put it right in front of my property and its causing problems with family vehicles exiting from a single driveway.
Is there anyway i can remove them or contact someone about this issue outside the complex to get them moved, or removed ? Also, will it decrease the selling price of my home? Not only is it a pain for driving in and out but its an eyesore as well. Me and my family have put a lot of hard work into renovating it, and it would a big set back if we got lower than we expected in selling our home, especially if it is from something that wasn't even consented to. Please help!
advent

Postby eliot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:43 pm

how can a speed bump be a problem for you. It does not make sense.
eliot

Postby dallen47 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:48 pm

If you are a rental then I would bring the problem up with the manager. If you have no luck with him then go to the owner. If you have a board who overlooks issues then go to the board. It may be a hastle and may take time to deal with. If you own your condo then I would go to the property manager or the company who put them in. It sounds like someone wasn't using their head when they planned the speed bump. It doesn't sound like they thought it out at all. I think you might be able to go to the city by-law officer but if it is private property I am not sure if they will deal with that. Maybe the building inspector from the city. I hope that you can deal with your manager if you have one of the property and they will be co-operative and fix it. There is always the tv stations who love these stories and it forces people to fix what they have done wrong. It may end up to be a problem for you though if the person who has to fix it gets mad at you for reporting it. Good luck and I hope it gets removed and put in a more sensible place. I disagree with Chris H I don't think it should be a cost to you at all. It was there thoughless planning and you are suffering over it I think that they should move it at their cost and I wouldn't give in to them.
dallen47

Postby teyrnon72 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:50 pm

so you live in a complex in Grand Theft Auto, and you have a problem with speed bumps ? get one of those drug dealing pimps to handle it.
teyrnon72

Postby baigh » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:57 pm

so you live in a complex in Grand Theft Auto, and you have a problem with speed bumps ? get one of those drug dealing pimps to handle it.
Perhaps you should determine a better location for the speed bump, even if it just means moving it far enough from your driveway so that it doesn't cause problems backing in and out. Then, approach the complex with your proposal. You might be forced to pay some or all of the cost to move them now that they're already in place. It would have been nicer if the complex had called a meeting to discuss proposed placement so your concerns could have been heard ahead of time. But, they're probably not required to get your consent.
baigh

Postby otis » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:03 am

I hate those darn things for a number of reasons. They not only slow down the normal traffic, they slow down emergency responders (police, ambulances, fire trucks, etc.) Hey I want those people to get to me or my loved ones aid as soon as possible in cases of emergency. They can't be too good on a vehicles suspension, and they are expensive to install. I would rather see 3 or 4 way stop signs installed at intersections which the emergency vehicles can ignore in case of emergencies.
You said you were fine with it until their instillation affected you personally. Live with it. Good Luck
otis

Return to Property Law