Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Purchased a used car- multiple problems 1 week later- dealers problem or mine?

Discuss anything relating to Consumer Law

Postby alburt » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:31 pm

In mid April of this year I purchased a used 2006 Chrysler 300 with 71,000 miles on it. The car was spotless, fresh pain, clean interior, ran nice and smooth, clean car-fax and auto check, passed smog.

About a week after purchasing the car i noticed lights on the dash would flicker on; a lightning bolt, the emergency brake light, and the check engine light all lit up. I called the dealership where i bought the car and told them what was happening and they asked if i could bring it in the following weekend (i work mon-fri). The car didnt make it until that sat. On Tuesday, the car began to overheat, brakes were rough and grinding and there was a high pitched whistly coming from the car when it accelerated. I called the dealer furious and they towed the car back to LA for work. During this time I was not provided any sort of rental car or estimate of time when the car would be fixed.

2 days go by and im told i can go and pick it up. Their mechanic says, the radiator was cracked causing the high pitched whistle and overheating, and you needed new pads in the front. Perfect, picked the car up and it was good to go. Drove to LA picked it up and drove home-- smooth ride.

Another week goes by and i notice the right front wheel is very sqeaky, and i notice a loud cracking noise from the wheel when a left turn is made. Again I call the dealership and he says to bring it in. I work full time so it was hard to get it there. A week goes by, noise is continuous. I get in the car on my lunch break and throw it in reverse, back out cranking the wheel to back out of the parking lot- front end turning right, rear turning left, and the car completely shuts down. Engine dies, steering locks up and i let the car coast to the curb, hit the brake and restart. Steering loosens up and seems fine. I researched possible problems and felt unsafe, decided to have the car diagnosed by Chrysler. I get the report back and the PCU needs an update, theres a coolant leak in the waterhousing, throttle body requires maintenance, spark plugs are shot, the air filter is filthy, and the PCU update needed for drivability has affected the transmission shifting.

I was furious. An estimate of 1,000 worth of work for a car I've had for barely 2 months. What are my rights as a consumer and a customer. The car is out of warranty and I feel cheated. The dealer that I bought the car from says he'll call me back to discuss some sort of solution. I am without a car, I dont have the money to fix it and it's not drivable. Chrysler has informed me of the damage that can happen if it's driven. I have 2 small children that have been in this car.

What do I do now? I feel like getting an attorney, but i know thats a drastic measure. Any ideas, tips, hints? What will the dealer do, what should he offer to do?
alburt

Postby toryn34 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:34 pm

its your problem. not theirs.

there should have been a sign on the car (or in the contract that you signed) that states "as is. no warranty." if there wasnt such a sign or notice, you may have a case, but thats unlikely.
toryn34

Postby fiynn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:38 pm

An attorney can not really help you! Used cars are sold "as is" in the eyes of the court unless the seller provides you with a written warranty. I suggest you be nice to the selling dealer and hope he feels responsible and assist in getting the repairs done. Unfortunately the early to mid 2000 Chrysler products were not very reliable even when new. Good Luck
fiynn

Postby leonie36 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:41 pm

An attorney can not really help you! Used cars are sold "as is" in the eyes of the court unless the seller provides you with a written warranty. I suggest you be nice to the selling dealer and hope he feels responsible and assist in getting the repairs done. Unfortunately the early to mid 2000 Chrysler products were not very reliable even when new. Good Luck
The dealer should have given you a 1 month/1k mile warranty if anything were to happen it should be covered. Review all of the signed paperwork you have
leonie36

Postby nicolas » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:56 pm

Its probably there fault
nicolas

Postby edmondo93 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Well, you will have to see the contract and what it states as far as warranty. Hate to bust your bubble, but some cars, if you drive them off the lot then it breaks down the next day, you are screwed. A little sign says, "Sold As Is."

From what you described seems like someone MAYBE sold the car to the dealer, making the car good to test drive for a few miles. Like the brakes for example. You can adjust them JUST enough that they will work, until you get some real driving in.

Again, you might have to talk to the dealer and ask them what THEIR responsibility is.

But personally, I would think you are responsible. Hea, things happen and you got a clunker.

FYI, next time you buy a car, you know you might check around for extended warranties for your vehicle. Seems, that you could use one, especially if you find out that the dealer can not help you now.

Now here is the catch. How much money have you spent now. Then look at the price of the extended warranty. I did it for your car and it might cost from $100-330 a month. But you need to READ about the extended warranties now. Say you get a major part goes out, then park the sucker. Get the warranty and maybe wait a few weeks then put your car in for repair.
The one below offers you up to 8 days of car rental. You pay for the rental and they reimburse you.

One little thing, is to get a AAA card or some other towing service card. I do not know if the dealer charged to tow your car, but if it broke down, you can have the tow guy, tow it to the dealer at a limited mileage range. Again, check on this.
I tell countless others, you NEED to learn about mechanics. Example, did you know it is really not that hard to put a radiator in yourself. OK, you can not do it. BUT, you could buy the radiator say like at Auto Zone with a LIFETIME warranty then go to some neighborhood mechanic shop and ask how much they could do it for. The dealers charge you an arm and a leg now. This would have applied to your brakes too. Get the lifetime at Auto Zone and again, get someone to put them on for you. Then when they wear out say in two years, you basically exchange them for FREE just paying the labor for changing them.

Well, again, hope this helps a little. But I can not BELIEVE you got a lemon. Seems that car was on its last legs. Hope you get it squared away.
edmondo93

Postby eliot » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:09 pm

You bought a 6 year old used car in "as is" condition. Any problems with it are your responsibility. Your rights are to fix your car, sell it, or trade it. The dealer doesn't have to do anything for you, any remedy they might offer is at their discretion.

To the idiots that bring up the "lemon laws", they don't cover used cars - new cars only.
eliot

Postby vohkinne » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:14 pm

unless the selling dealer offered you a warranty and its still in warranty, this is YOUR problem and the dealer owes you nothing.

You can sue but you would lose.

used cars cost WAY less than new for a reason. They aren't new and many or most have no warranties.

Welcome to the real world.

You were free to have it checked out prior to buying it. You did not. Its all on you.
vohkinne

Postby wattekinson86 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:21 pm

It depends on if your state has a lemmon law
wattekinson86

Return to Consumer Law