Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Puppy Problem

Discussions relating to Personal Injury Law

Puppy Problem

Postby Yogi » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:36 am

We just got our new puppy a few days go. When we leave a room and she cant follow shes screams her head off. Our oldest one did the same at 8 weeks but not this badly. she'll even continue to scream once i come back into the room and she'll want to be held. I dont pick her up cause i'm worried that will cause her to think "if i scream she'll come back and pick me up". Shes a border collie and a very smart one too, so when i leave for work i get her busy with somthing a sneak away. How can i help her get over separation anxiety, without ruining her? I breaks my heart to hear her like this

ANSWER: This is NORMAL behavior in a young puppy.  She may have been separated from dam and litter mates at too young an age or may have been the last puppy out, poorly managed by the breeder or wherever you got her.  This is NOT separation anxiety.  You need to educate yourself in a hurry because this breed is quite focused and result oriented.  I suggest you go to Dr. Ian Dunbar's site, DogStarDaily.com, and look for all material and videos pertaining to puppy training and habituation.  This puppy requires a secure living space, most likely in the kitchen(puppy play pen area) with crate(open door and soft cushion), interesting and SAFE toys, weighted water bowl, which has newspaper underfoot(do NOT paper train her, merely use the newspaper to catch the urine more easily and reduce the amount of newspaper to a far corner of the play pen once she obtains ten to twelve weeks of age).  At eight weeks, she's on automatic pilot as a neonate; this doesn't mean she can't learn but it DOES mean she can more easily learn the wrong things.  Your heart need not be broken: this is normal neonate behavior and it will self extinguish.  Crying(keening, howling, yowling, etc.) escalates if you make eye contact or in any way engage the puppy but this does NOT mean you ignore her.  Interrupt the sound by clapping your hands and then engage her briefly.  You're right to "sneak away" as you don't want to give her leave taking cues that will escalate her alarm.  However, she can learn that her play pen and confinement area are rewarding by being placed there for short intervals, followed by brief play episode, during the course of a normal day.  You should also read Dr. George Gate's "A Dog in Hand: Teaching Your Puppy To Think" and learn about how to use a clicker by going to ClickerTraining.com.  Read all you can about the Border Collie and other herding breeds; if possible, find a puppy kindergarten in your area(ONLY positive reinforcement trainers) that she can attend once she has reached an appropriate age(fully vaccinated) but don't wait to socialize this dog: you have about five to six weeks to do it right.  Let her meet/greet many people, in your home and out of it, see all sorts of things(cats, dogs, pigeons, cars, etc.) and become comfortable with the environment at large.  The more socialized she is, the better a companion she will be.

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

well she's 8 wks old and we made sure of that. Her mother wasnt around as much and she was the frist girl out of the 3 of them to go. Last night we decided to pen her up in our "jack and jill" bathroom with the door to our room open but a babygate blocking access to us. Our older dog(10 mnths) laid at the floor close to her. We had a screaming puppy all night long. i gave her, her blanket and a stuffed bone to be in there with her but it didnt help. Even at the begining of the night i put our older dog in with her but that did help(they both get along so well with each other). Would it help it we put her down stair we're we keep her during the day while were at work? my fiance puts her down there when he leave for work and i get up a hour after he leave and she dosnt make a peep. I really want her to get use to sleeping in the same room as us. And she was ok sleeping in the bed for the frist couple of days we got her, but now shes use to us i want her to be on the floor at night with our older dog(our older is only 10 mnths old if that helps). We are planning on a puppy kindergarden and we do belive is socialzing our dogs. We did that with our 10 mnth and shes a dream come true shes also a collie so the high energy is no stranger to us. I've just never seen such a small puppy make so much noise before. We're trying to do that same with her as our oldest since it worked so well with her but i'm stumped. i'll check out those site. I just want to do the best for my new baby as i did for my older baby lol

Thanks a million for helping us!

ANSWER: It's never easy getting a very young puppy(or even an older dog) accustomed to sleeping in a new area, screaming is almost always involved lol.  This is the tough part: responding in any way will worsen it!  No reason the ten month old can't be confined with her so long as that dog is not forced in close proximity with the puppy's urine or stool, this is NOT a good idea since the older puppy will most likely begin to mark over and then you've got a real problem.  Being firm by insisting she sleep in her own space within sight of you is the best thing, will prevent over bonding(puppy in bed with you, hard habit to break! not good for love life lol) and promote some emotional independence.  You can reward her for NOT whining/screaming during the day by dangling a tiny treat in front of her and the MOMENT she stops, say "quiet" and pop the treat into her mouth.  Slowly she will learn that "quiet" is rewarding and you will then be able to use it(ONLY at night) without offering reward; at first, offer reward the second she stops with the word 'quiet', then wait a few seconds between 'quiet' and reward, then increase time between 'quiet' and reward(to ten or fifteen seconds), then stagger reward(every other time, then every third time, once in a while go back to every time, then repeat stagger until reward is withdrawn.)  The word "quiet" should be all she gets from you at night time, no appearances, no eye contact, etc.  The first few nights will be tough, this is good training if you intend to have children lol.

RE: house training: a puppy has NO CONTROL of its urination or defecation until at least ten weeks of age.  It takes weeks(sometimes longer) to house train a puppy.  You must GET UP during the night and take this puppy out to eliminate until she is mature enough to contain it for at least six hours.

Hi i'm having another issue i'm not sure how to deal with. I bought a bone for my older dog before we got the puppy. shes never shown any food agression or toy with any other dog before. they were both chewing on it together(very cute). then my pup growled at her, shes pushed my older dog out of the way to chew on her end. no matter what my older dog has  Miaya will try to take it way from her. Well finally Cleo(my older dog) growled at her when she tryed to take the bone away. i disaplines both and threw the bone away. This problem with my pup gose from the food in bowl to toys to anything my older dog has. my older dog has about 50 lbs on her and they do play fight and Cleo always wins. is this a fight for domiance? cleo is such a kind heart dog and when miaya take somthing away(like that bone) Cleo just sits and watches her. I feel so bad for her but i dont know how to deal with this problem without creating food agression in Miaya? Please Help! I dont want to mess up my new pup
Yogi

Puppy Problem

Postby Taneli » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:50 pm

I think you're far too worried about your 'new' puppy.  This behavior of a neonate toward an(almost) adult dog is flat out unacceptable and a strong indication that you may have a VERY serious problem in the very near future.  No eight week old puppy should be demonstrating aggression of any sort(and that is what you described); while growling between puppies(and older dogs) during play is a normal vocalization.  For an eight week old puppy to 'push' away an older dog and trophy a toy is not a good sign of temperament.  You should NOT have disciplined the older dog, it is her job to create guidelines of behavior for the puppy.  Growling at a puppy, even putting a puppy down by the scruff of the neck and standing over it, is a behavior other dogs(puppies or adults) will demonstrate as an act of rank: "hold on there, kiddo, this won't work between us".  By disciplining the older dog(who received it as discipline, the puppy probably just got very confused) you essentially stopped that dog from doing what she should be doing.

This puppy may have been the largest in the litter or from a careless, idiotic breeder.  If the dam 'wasn't around that much' that may mean she rejected her puppies(thereby creating a future problem of food aggression and resource guarding because they weren't nursed properly) or was too immature(or was ill) to care for them properly, instruct them properly, etc.  Part of the lack of properly "parenting" by the dam may have resulted in extreme separation issues(whining and crying as you describe she has done when you leave her) and sometimes(in fact often) results in puppies with little or no bite inhibition.

Your older dog has demonstrated extreme patience and kindness toward this neonate, but she is very stressed because of this addition and trying to work out an arrangement between them.  The puppy itself needs expert evaluation; you're going to have to find a reliable training venue that uses ONLY POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT, and do it NOW.  Ask the trainer(who should have credentials: APDT or the like) to come to your home and evaluate the puppy.  Get that puppy up to date in vaccinations immediately, she requires a puppy kindergarten class at LEAST and it has to be done soon, before age 13 weeks.  Your opportunity to socialize this puppy is five weeks: after that, it's rehabilitation.  Don't remove treats and toys from the older dog: put the puppy on a house tab(leash with handle cut off) and supervise her EVERY MOVE in your home.  She does not belong "at large" in the house, she's far too young and has yet to earn those privileges.  If she growls at the older dog, you intervene by going to the PUPPY, make direct eye contact, step toward her calmly and slowly so she backs up and sits, praise her, go on as usual.  DO NOTHING to the older dog; in fact, pick up the toy and hand it to the other dog.  Observe them carefully: your older dog is still a juvenile but she may, if not allowed to make common "statements' to the puppy, escalate in aggression, or she may back off altogether and be the target of bullying by this puppy as it gets older.  Act now.  Find a trainer.
Taneli

Puppy Problem

Postby Risley » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:30 pm

We just got our new puppy a few days go. When we leave a room and she cant follow shes screams her head off. Our oldest one did the same at 8 weeks but not this badly. she'll even continue to scream once i come back into the room and she'll want to be held. I dont pick her up cause i'm worried that will cause her to think "if i scream she'll come back and pick me up". Shes a border collie and a very smart one too, so when i leave for work i get her busy with somthing a sneak away. How can i help her get over separation anxiety, without ruining her? I breaks my heart to hear her like this

ANSWER: This is NORMAL behavior in a young puppy.  She may have been separated from dam and litter mates at too young an age or may have been the last puppy out, poorly managed by the breeder or wherever you got her.  This is NOT separation anxiety.  You need to educate yourself in a hurry because this breed is quite focused and result oriented.  I suggest you go to Dr. Ian Dunbar's site, DogStarDaily.com, and look for all material and videos pertaining to puppy training and habituation.  This puppy requires a secure living space, most likely in the kitchen(puppy play pen area) with crate(open door and soft cushion), interesting and SAFE toys, weighted water bowl, which has newspaper underfoot(do NOT paper train her, merely use the newspaper to catch the urine more easily and reduce the amount of newspaper to a far corner of the play pen once she obtains ten to twelve weeks of age).  At eight weeks, she's on automatic pilot as a neonate; this doesn't mean she can't learn but it DOES mean she can more easily learn the wrong things.  Your heart need not be broken: this is normal neonate behavior and it will self extinguish.  Crying(keening, howling, yowling, etc.) escalates if you make eye contact or in any way engage the puppy but this does NOT mean you ignore her.  Interrupt the sound by clapping your hands and then engage her briefly.  You're right to "sneak away" as you don't want to give her leave taking cues that will escalate her alarm.  However, she can learn that her play pen and confinement area are rewarding by being placed there for short intervals, followed by brief play episode, during the course of a normal day.  You should also read Dr. George Gate's "A Dog in Hand: Teaching Your Puppy To Think" and learn about how to use a clicker by going to ClickerTraining.com.  Read all you can about the Border Collie and other herding breeds; if possible, find a puppy kindergarten in your area(ONLY positive reinforcement trainers) that she can attend once she has reached an appropriate age(fully vaccinated) but don't wait to socialize this dog: you have about five to six weeks to do it right.  Let her meet/greet many people, in your home and out of it, see all sorts of things(cats, dogs, pigeons, cars, etc.) and become comfortable with the environment at large.  The more socialized she is, the better a companion she will be.

well she's 8 wks old and we made sure of that. Her mother wasnt around as much and she was the frist girl out of the 3 of them to go. Last night we decided to pen her up in our "jack and jill" bathroom with the door to our room open but a babygate blocking access to us. Our older dog(10 mnths) laid at the floor close to her. We had a screaming puppy all night long. i gave her, her blanket and a stuffed bone to be in there with her but it didnt help. Even at the begining of the night i put our older dog in with her but that did help(they both get along so well with each other). Would it help it we put her down stair we're we keep her during the day while were at work? my fiance puts her down there when he leave for work and i get up a hour after he leave and she dosnt make a peep. I really want her to get use to sleeping in the same room as us. And she was ok sleeping in the bed for the frist couple of days we got her, but now shes use to us i want her to be on the floor at night with our older dog(our older is only 10 mnths old if that helps). We are planning on a puppy kindergarden and we do belive is socialzing our dogs. We did that with our 10 mnth and shes a dream come true shes also a collie so the high energy is no stranger to us. I've just never seen such a small puppy make so much noise before. We're trying to do that same with her as our oldest since it worked so well with her but i'm stumped. i'll check out those site. I just want to do the best for my new baby as i did for my older baby lol

Thanks a million for helping us!

ANSWER: It's never easy getting a very young puppy(or even an older dog) accustomed to sleeping in a new area, screaming is almost always involved lol.  This is the tough part: responding in any way will worsen it!  No reason the ten month old can't be confined with her so long as that dog is not forced in close proximity with the puppy's urine or stool, this is NOT a good idea since the older puppy will most likely begin to mark over and then you've got a real problem.  Being firm by insisting she sleep in her own space within sight of you is the best thing, will prevent over bonding(puppy in bed with you, hard habit to break! not good for love life lol) and promote some emotional independence.  You can reward her for NOT whining/screaming during the day by dangling a tiny treat in front of her and the MOMENT she stops, say "quiet" and pop the treat into her mouth.  Slowly she will learn that "quiet" is rewarding and you will then be able to use it(ONLY at night) without offering reward; at first, offer reward the second she stops with the word 'quiet', then wait a few seconds between 'quiet' and reward, then increase time between 'quiet' and reward(to ten or fifteen seconds), then stagger reward(every other time, then every third time, once in a while go back to every time, then repeat stagger until reward is withdrawn.)  The word "quiet" should be all she gets from you at night time, no appearances, no eye contact, etc.  The first few nights will be tough, this is good training if you intend to have children lol.

RE: house training: a puppy has NO CONTROL of its urination or defecation until at least ten weeks of age.  It takes weeks(sometimes longer) to house train a puppy.  You must GET UP during the night and take this puppy out to eliminate until she is mature enough to contain it for at least six hours.

Hi i'm having another issue i'm not sure how to deal with. I bought a bone for my older dog before we got the puppy. shes never shown any food agression or toy with any other dog before. they were both chewing on it together(very cute). then my pup growled at her, shes pushed my older dog out of the way to chew on her end. no matter what my older dog has  Miaya will try to take it way from her. Well finally Cleo(my older dog) growled at her when she tryed to take the bone away. i disaplines both and threw the bone away. This problem with my pup gose from the food in bowl to toys to anything my older dog has. my older dog has about 50 lbs on her and they do play fight and Cleo always wins. is this a fight for domiance? cleo is such a kind heart dog and when miaya take somthing away(like that bone) Cleo just sits and watches her. I feel so bad for her but i dont know how to deal with this problem without creating food agression in Miaya? Please Help! I dont want to mess up my new pup
Risley

Return to Personal Injury Law