Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Property left in house when I bought it? Who owns it now?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Postby lathrop » Fri May 25, 2012 2:36 pm

I live in Indiana and purchased my girlfriend's uncle's home when he was put into a home, All kinds of personal effects were left in the home when I moved in, mostly crap, for which I had to spend hours removing. Long story short she moved out over a year ago and a relative is now asking for some of the items back since he has passed away obviously he only wants the halfway decent things that were left behind.When he was admited into the home there was an estate sale and anything that wasnt purchased by family members was left there for my ex and I. I own the house and was told it would be cleaned out when I bought it but it was left for me to clean up. Does the family have a legal right to claim abandoned items left behind after an estate sale over a year later. Thanks!
lathrop

Postby alburt » Fri May 25, 2012 2:37 pm

no

personal property knowingly left in a house that was properly sold under the real estate laws is included in the sale.
alburt

Postby bearchan » Fri May 25, 2012 2:44 pm

No, the family has no legal right to anything anymore. If they try to put any stick about, tell them to direct their inquiries to the executor of dead guy's estate. This is the person who was responsible for providing notice of the estate sale once the deceased's debts were fully discharged. The estate debts should have included your own bill for cleaning the place and removing stuff, which is expensive. If they press further, suggest you might be willing to make a list from memory of certain items that never made it to the estate sale ... for a price. Time is money.
bearchan

Postby ardwyad » Fri May 25, 2012 2:48 pm

No, that became your property when you bought the house. They were given time to remove his property and didn't. Tough break. Now they will try to make you feel guilty. Don't let them.....
ardwyad

Return to Property Law