Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Problems With Female Goat Urinating.

Discussions relating to Drug Laws

Postby Ordwin » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:33 am

Hello,

Today I noticed that one of my 10yr old female goats was having trouble urinating. I noticed this morning that her back end seemed a bit messy, but wasn't sure if she sat in something. But later tonight I saw her squat down one time and nothing came out. She squated again and at first nothing came out, then a string of clear mucus followed by a trickle or urine, and then more came out. It took her quite a while to finish, and the stream wasn't as strong as usual where it arcs behind her. It sort of dribbles out and that's what is making her back end messy. I gave them some probiotics tonight since I'm not sure what's wrong and we don't have access to a goat vet at this time. I would really appreciate any help you can provide as I'm worried about her and don't know what to do until I can try to track down a vet that might see her.

ANSWER: I would try to get as many liquids into her as Possible. Warm/hot water, electrolytes, whatever works. Also, if you have any sulfa drugs, that is what is used to treat bladder infections in humans. Also take her temperature and see whether it is high or low. Does she have any other signs?

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

I do not have any drugs like that on hand. Is that something I can get at the feed store? I watched her again this morning and she squatted down, a string of mucus came out, and then she urinated some more. She doesn't really let me touch her a lot, but I did try to touch her around her abdomen area and she swung her head around when I did. Not sure if that's due to pain, or just not comfortable with me touching her. Does this sound like a bladder infection? I was looking on the internet last night and now I'm really worried with all the things it could be and what could happen to her. Thank you for your response.
Ordwin

Postby Burch » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:13 am

Hello,

Today I noticed that one of my 10yr old female goats was having trouble urinating. I noticed this morning that her back end seemed a bit messy, but wasn't sure if she sat in something. But later tonight I saw her squat down one time and nothing came out. She squated again and at first nothing came out, then a string of clear mucus followed by a trickle or urine, and then more came out. It took her quite a while to finish, and the stream wasn't as strong as usual where it arcs behind her. It sort of dribbles out and that's what is making her back end messy. I gave them some probiotics tonight since I'm not sure what's wrong and we don't have access to a goat vet at this time. I would really appreciate any help you can provide as I'm worried about her and don't know what to do until I can try to track down a vet that might see her.

ANSWER: I would try to get as many liquids into her as Possible. Warm/hot water, electrolytes, whatever works. Also, if you have any sulfa drugs, that is what is used to treat bladder infections in humans. Also take her temperature and see whether it is high or low. Does she have any other signs?

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

I do not have any drugs like that on hand. Is that something I can get at the feed store? I watched her again this morning and she squatted down, a string of mucus came out, and then she urinated some more. She doesn't really let me touch her a lot, but I did try to touch her around her abdomen area and she swung her head around when I did. Not sure if that's due to pain, or just not comfortable with me touching her. Does this sound like a bladder infection? I was looking on the internet last night and now I'm really worried with all the things it could be and what could happen to her. Thank you for your response.
Burch

Postby Preostcot » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:42 pm

That would be the first thought I would have(bladder infection). Yes, you can get these drugs at a feed store. If you think she is in pain, you can also give an aspirin with food several times a day. Goat medicine says that "when inflammation is severe the urine may contain visible clumps of inflammatory cells and debris." They don't mention the treatment, but I suggested the sulfas because that is what they use in humans. So go to the feed store and check the various drugs to find a sulfa.(Some of the coccidia meds are sulfas)

And keep up the probiotics and liquids.

Good luck!
Preostcot

Return to Drug Laws