Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Prescription Forgery

Criminal Law Discussion Forum

Prescription Forgery

Postby Gurutz » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:17 pm

I made a big mistake and was charged last week with 2 counts of altering/forging a prescription and 1 count of interfering with an arresting officer(I got scared and started to run and then I stopped). This all happened in the state of Utah. I was booked and released and I am now awaiting the decision of the DA on charges. I have never been arrested before this and since my release I have gotten into a treatment program and I am now clean. I also have requested weekly UA tests to keep me honest, and also to show the judge how long I have been clean. Is there any thing else you would recommend I do to make myself more presentable to the judge? What kind of punishment can I expect on charges like this? What factors do you consider when retaining counsel? Thank you very much for your time. I pray that I never have to ask another question like this again.
Gurutz

Prescription Forgery

Postby Hwistlere » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:55 pm

Bryan,

Prescription addiction is a huge problem and i give you a lot of credit for taking steps to kick it.  Best of luck.  You have made pretty much all the steps i could recommend prior to charges.  There is not much more an attorney would be able to do short of making sure you are given a chance to surrender instead of being lodged.  However as long as you answer notices, don't move, etc. they should be fine with sending you a notice.  Once you are arraigned they should offer you a court appointed attorney.  Take them up on the offer.  There will probably be a fee that will be added on at the end but it is reasonable. When you meet with the attorney make sure you discuss alternative sentencing programs.  You may be entitled to a deferred sentencing program allowing you to protect your record.  Designed for first time offenders.  Punishment is not something anyone on a forum like this can give definitive answers because the variances between the jurisdictions are so numerous.  You would be a good candidate in most jurisdictions for probation, fines an d as mentioned prior a deferred type sentence.  A local attorney would be able to give you a much clearer pictures based on their local knowledge of the prosecutor, courts and judges.

Good luck,

Robin
Hwistlere

Prescription Forgery

Postby azarael » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:54 am

I made a big mistake and was charged last week with 2 counts of altering/forging a prescription and 1 count of interfering with an arresting officer(I got scared and started to run and then I stopped). This all happened in the state of Utah. I was booked and released and I am now awaiting the decision of the DA on charges. I have never been arrested before this and since my release I have gotten into a treatment program and I am now clean. I also have requested weekly UA tests to keep me honest, and also to show the judge how long I have been clean. Is there any thing else you would recommend I do to make myself more presentable to the judge? What kind of punishment can I expect on charges like this? What factors do you consider when retaining counsel? Thank you very much for your time. I pray that I never have to ask another question like this again.
azarael

Return to Criminal Law