Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Pneumonia And Aspiration Pneumonia

Been the victim of Legal Malpractice? Discuss it here.

Postby Paulson » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:50 pm

My mother, age 75, was admitted into the hospital with COPD.  Two days later diagnosed with pneumonia. On day tree they tell us she inhaled her breakfast while eating(eggs and biscuit) and had aspiration pneumonia on top of the original pneumonia.  They say we have to wait to see if antibiotics work before she gets too week.  about for days later she begins to improve.  She is recieving respiratory therapy and is sitting up in a chair.  Still strugling with shortness of breath. At end of week two they tell us she again inhale some of her food and again has aspiration pneumonia.  Four days later she died.  Could not recover from this set back quickly enough.  Too much strain on her heart apparently.  Should someone like my mother who was struggling to breath, be eating solid foods?  If she had been on intravenous until the pneumonia was cleared up, she would not have had to battle the aspiration pneumnia.  And what about it happening twice.  Does this show a lack of their ability to learn and make adjustments?
Paulson

Postby Trucker » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:33 pm

Your question suggests that your mother should not have been given solid foods while she was "recovering" from chronic occlusive pulmonary disease. She was recovering, if at all, from an acute episode of a long term chronic disease. If your mother had chronic disease, that means it has been present for some time, and in these cases that means years. Her lungs were in bad shape, and the pneumonia is a late manifestation of that disease. Aspiration pneumonia would, of course, add to the damage. Now you might be able to show that she should have been assisted in her feeding, and that perhaps someone should have been watching her.

You do not tell us what kind of doctor was managing her care.

You probably should take your case to a malpractice lawyer. He may know things I don't know. For instance if that hospital or doctor have had other malpractice lawsuits, that will make a lawyer become more interested. See what a lawyer says. I don't think you will have much success, but then I am here and your lawyer will be there. That makes a big difference.
Trucker

Postby Scott » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:30 pm

My mother, age 75, was admitted into the hospital with COPD.  Two days later diagnosed with pneumonia. On day tree they tell us she inhaled her breakfast while eating(eggs and biscuit) and had aspiration pneumonia on top of the original pneumonia.  They say we have to wait to see if antibiotics work before she gets too week.  about for days later she begins to improve.  She is recieving respiratory therapy and is sitting up in a chair.  Still strugling with shortness of breath. At end of week two they tell us she again inhale some of her food and again has aspiration pneumonia.  Four days later she died.  Could not recover from this set back quickly enough.  Too much strain on her heart apparently.  Should someone like my mother who was struggling to breath, be eating solid foods?  If she had been on intravenous until the pneumonia was cleared up, she would not have had to battle the aspiration pneumnia.  And what about it happening twice.  Does this show a lack of their ability to learn and make adjustments?
Scott

Return to Legal Malpractice