13. Which of the following associations would benefit both a fungus and a plant?
14. What is the main ecological role of fungi?
15. Why is sexual reproduction preferable to a species?
It promotes genetic variation. It results in an exact copy of the parent cell.
It stimulates the production of pheromones. Sexual reproduction is not preferable.
16. A scientist examining the mycelium of a fungus finds that the hyphae are divided into compartments and the nuclei evenly distributed. What kind of hyphae is he looking at?
coenocytic hyphae septate hyphae
chitin hyphae No answer is correct.
17. Choose the correctly matched names for numbers 1, 2, and 3 in the diagram.
1- hyphae, 2- mycelium, 3- septa 1- mycelium, 2- hyphae, 3- septa
1- mycelium, 2- septa, 3- hyphae 1- hyphae, 2- septa, 3- mycelium
18. What would happen if spores from one species of fungus landed on fungus of another species?
sexual reproduction budding
19. A boy observes fuzzy black mold on a piece of bread. What parts of the mold is he observing?
the hyphae and sporangia the sporangia and septa
the septa and gametangia the zygosporangia and hyphae
20. In a mycorrhizal relationship, what part of the fungus grows into the plant?
the asci the hyphae
the zygosporangium the fruiting bodies
21. A scientist that is looking for signs of air pollution would look for which type of fungus first?
22. All fungi are _____.
23. A scientist is collecting fungi samples. How will he be able to identify a zygomycete?
He will look for spores contained in sacs. He will look for spores contained in fruiting bodies formed in a ring above ground.
He will look for spores that are inactive because conditions are not right. No answer is correct.
24. A scientist is collecting fungi samples. How will he be able to identify a basidiomycete?
She will look for spores contained in sacs. She will look for spores contained in fruiting bodies formed in a ring above ground.
She will look for spores that are inactive because conditions are not right. No answer is correct.
Select the best answer from the choices provided. (Each question is worth one point)
25. Which of the following structures does NOT play a role in fungal reproduction?
26. When conditions are harsh, some fungi only reproduce sexually. Which of the following statements explains why this is beneficial for those fungi?
Spores contained in zygosporangium can withstand more extreme temperatures. Sexual reproduction requires two parent organisms.
Sexual reproduction allows for genetic variation and adaptation. Fungi can only release spores through sexual reproduction.
27. In which part of the mushroom are hyphae located?
A only B only
both A and B neither A nor B
28. What was fungi’s role in plants’ move from water to land?
Fungi provided the mechanism for plants to obtain nutrients from the soil. Fungi provided the reproductive structures to help plants germinate.
Fungi acted as parasites that pulled nutrients from the plants. Fungi had no role in plants’ move from water to land.