Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Pelvic Hematoma S/p Transvaginal Hysterectomy

Been the victim of Medical Malpractice or fighting a malpractice suit? Discuss it here.

Postby Harte » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:36 am

I recently had transvaginal hysterectomy due to fibroids. I recieved 2 untis of blood 1 day after surgery. No one could figure out where I had lost so much volume. My surgeon went on vacation the day after my surgery. He had another physician following my post surgical care. The following day I was to be discharged but the RN noted that my hematocrit and homoglobin had dropped. She had another stat H&H run and it was even lower. MD ordered 2 untis of blood. Next day he commented on the fact that I hadn't had a fluid volume loss during surgery and that my urine volume didn't match the loss. He said if H&H is good after the tranfusion I would be discharged on a Sunday. I went home a continued to have pain.On the following Sunday I was back in the ER with fever and extreme pain. ER MD ordered CT and found a huge 14cmx16cm hematoma in my pelvis. Needless to say I went from Morphine to Dalodid. The pain was horribly intense. The next day a drain was placed in the hematoma and before discharge 500ml was removed. I was discharged 3 days later with drain and drainage bag attached for 1 week. I returned to surgeon's office to have drain removed and find out after care. He stated this all completely normal.
Harte

Postby artek57 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:45 pm

I recently had transvaginal hysterectomy due to fibroids. I recieved 2 untis of blood 1 day after surgery. No one could figure out where I had lost so much volume. My surgeon went on vacation the day after my surgery. He had another physician following my post surgical care. The following day I was to be discharged but the RN noted that my hematocrit and homoglobin had dropped. She had another stat H&H run and it was even lower. MD ordered 2 untis of blood. Next day he commented on the fact that I hadn't had a fluid volume loss during surgery and that my urine volume didn't match the loss. He said if H&H is good after the tranfusion I would be discharged on a Sunday. I went home a continued to have pain.On the following Sunday I was back in the ER with fever and extreme pain. ER MD ordered CT and found a huge 14cmx16cm hematoma in my pelvis. Needless to say I went from Morphine to Dalodid. The pain was horribly intense. The next day a drain was placed in the hematoma and before discharge 500ml was removed. I was discharged 3 days later with drain and drainage bag attached for 1 week. I returned to surgeon's office to have drain removed and find out after care. He stated this all completely normal.
artek57

Postby Agni » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:14 pm

Your surgeon has a remarkable sense of humor. Sue him.

First, your 'fluid' loss was blood lost because a bleeder had not been tied off after your surgery. Your 'H&H' after the transfusion was O.K. because transfused blood had been measured, not your own blood. The ER doctor seems to be the only one with any sense, and he ordered the scan, and thus found the hematoma. The hematoma resulted from the continual bleeding that had not been corrected at any time after your initial surgery.

Something your lawyer should understand is that a surgeon is solely responsible for post surgical care. The surgeon can not assign this to a relief MD(what was his specialty?). It is the surgeon's responsibility to see that no operative injury has occurred. That guy went on his vacation and your lawyer should attack him with both barrels for that.

Get a malpractice lawyer now. Don't horse around trying to get satisfaction on your own. Let your lawyer do that. Ask your local Bar Association for a list of malpractice lawyers and talk to several before you choose one.(Something you should have done before you chose a doctor for your surgery.)

Meantime, get another gynecologist. Stay away from that guy who left you to bleed. If you can, stop any payments to that jerk. Filing a lawsuit stops payment, but that may be too late.
Agni

Return to Medical Malpractice