Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Paystubs For Past Employees

Discuss Labor Laws

Postby Calvert » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:22 pm

Hello, I live and work in Eugene, OR. My question is am I required by law to provide copies of paystubs to past employees? In addition, am I required to provide copies to present employees?

I am a one gal office manager.....meaning I do everything for my company - Sometimes I get a little irritated with these wives who expect me to provide them with copies of items they should be keeping themselves. I would love to be able to tell them that, but I am afraid that it may be the law that requires me to give them copies of there paystubs.

If it is the law, what is a reasonable amount of time? They always want them yesterday, and being the only person who runs this office, my time is limited.

Thank You in Advance on any advice you may have for me.

Frustrated in Eugene,

Michele R.
Calvert

Postby Linwood » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:10 pm

Michelle, I am in Idaho not so far from you.

Past and present employees often do ask for records and it is time consuming. I keep a copy of all my check stubs and direct deposit advices for each payday in a binder just for that purpose. I store the binders in storage.

In the state of Oregon present employees have a right to request the information. You do have a reasonable amount of time to give it to them, and they do not describe what reasonable is. Is it is a present employee I tell them I will have it to they in a few days and if a past employee in a week, but that is what is reasonable for me.

I also make them fill out a form requesting the information. I do not charge the current employees for the first time. If they lose it again such as the W-2 I charge them 10.00 for the second copy of the document. I do charge the past employees a fee of 10.00 to copy the documents and 5.00 an hour to search for them if they are more than a year old. I don't get too many return requests.

Shirley
Linwood

Postby Gogarty » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:23 am

Hello, I live and work in Eugene, OR. My question is am I required by law to provide copies of paystubs to past employees? In addition, am I required to provide copies to present employees?

I am a one gal office manager.....meaning I do everything for my company - Sometimes I get a little irritated with these wives who expect me to provide them with copies of items they should be keeping themselves. I would love to be able to tell them that, but I am afraid that it may be the law that requires me to give them copies of there paystubs.

If it is the law, what is a reasonable amount of time? They always want them yesterday, and being the only person who runs this office, my time is limited.

Thank You in Advance on any advice you may have for me.

Frustrated in Eugene,

Michele R.
Gogarty

Return to Labor Laws