Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Paying Tips And Gratuities

Discuss anything relating to Consumer Law

Postby Frazer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:48 pm

This was for an event that our business held.  It was a bar/snack service.  The gratuity was included in the bill for that service, but the server did put a jar out on the bar.  

There were just approximately 50 people in attendance.  I was there for a couple hours.  (the event was to be from 9:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.)  In that time, the server emptied her jar twice.  When I paid the bill, my employer wrote a note on it telling the company that we took the gratuity off of it because the server had gotten quite a bit of money in her jar, and while she did a good job, she wasn't THAT good!  (LOL)  I know I saw several five dollar bills in her jar.  
Frazer

Postby Niall » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:15 am

Sorry for the dealy, the AllExperts site has been down for two days!

I feel that the server took advantage of the situation putting a jar out for an event that the company hosted, knowing darn well the tip would be included with the bill.

Has the establishment billed your company credit card for the gratuity OR are they just demanding that the company pay additonal funds?

If they have charged the card, the company needs to immediately dispute the difference with the credit card company.  If they haven't charged, just forget it.  What are they going to do, sue the company for the gratuity?

If the establishment is owned by a chain, I would contact the administrative office ASAP regarding the matter.

The Better Business Bureau, unfortunately, is worthless in resolving disputes(from my experience); however, file a complaint with them because it will reflect on the establishments overall rating(whether or not they are a member).

Let me know if you need additional resources.  Also, file a complaint with your state department of consumer affairs, especially since the establishment might be violating consumer laws based on "double tipping."
Niall

Postby Graden » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:18 am

This was for an event that our business held.  It was a bar/snack service.  The gratuity was included in the bill for that service, but the server did put a jar out on the bar.  

There were just approximately 50 people in attendance.  I was there for a couple hours.  (the event was to be from 9:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.)  In that time, the server emptied her jar twice.  When I paid the bill, my employer wrote a note on it telling the company that we took the gratuity off of it because the server had gotten quite a bit of money in her jar, and while she did a good job, she wasn't THAT good!  (LOL)  I know I saw several five dollar bills in her jar.  
Graden

Return to Consumer Law