Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Paying Employees "late."

Discuss Labor Laws

Paying Employees "late."

Postby Caryl » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:11 am

Payday is on Wednesday per the employee handbook. When first hired I was told that I must sign up for direct deposit which I did. On more than one occasion, my employer has paid me late on Thursday with a paper check and an apology. I use online banking and I have had to eat overdraft fee on these occasions and once again today.....go to the bank.....check my balance......no paycheck. Is there any recourse or can I ask my employer to pay the overdraft fees ? This is getting to be expensive. Or can demand that they pay me with a paper check ? I am in West Virginia. Thanks in advance !
Caryl

Paying Employees "late."

Postby Kacey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:54 am

Angelia:

In WV, you must agree to direct deposit.  It cannot be forced on you.  Here is the link to the Q%26A on direct deposit in WV.  http://www.wvlabor.com/newwebsite/Documents/wageforms/Direct_Deposit.pdf

You must be paid every 2 weeks, unless you work for a railroad.  Here is a link to that, as well.

If by paying you late your employer is not paying you every 2 weeks, they are in violation of the law.http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/code.cfm?chap=21%26art=5#4

Hope this helps.

Tom Ballas
Kacey

Paying Employees "late."

Postby Bello » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:53 am

Payday is on Wednesday per the employee handbook. When first hired I was told that I must sign up for direct deposit which I did. On more than one occasion, my employer has paid me late on Thursday with a paper check and an apology. I use online banking and I have had to eat overdraft fee on these occasions and once again today.....go to the bank.....check my balance......no paycheck. Is there any recourse or can I ask my employer to pay the overdraft fees ? This is getting to be expensive. Or can demand that they pay me with a paper check ? I am in West Virginia. Thanks in advance !
Bello

Return to Labor Laws