Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Pay Reduction, Location Change

Discuss Labor Laws

Postby Bedford » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:35 am

I have worked for my employer for 1 1/2 years as a full time employee.  I am a resident of GA(the company is headquartered out of California).  I was told in February by my employer that my position was being eliminated effective April 11, 2009, and was given two options:

-Remain at my current location, accepting a part time position, at $2 less per hour

-Transfer to another location 35 miles away, but keep full time status, accepting a pay cut of $1.25 less per hour

Because of my interest in health insurance coverage I took the transfer to the further away location approximately two weeks after the notification.  Effective April 11 my pay will be decreased by 1.25 per hour and my job title will change.  Unfortunately, to keep my full time status and health insurance, Im spending a 3x more money on the gas to get to work.

Here are my questions:

Would I be eligible to file for partial unemployment to help make up for the pay cut/location transfer since it was through no fault of my own?

If so, which laws would be applicable, Georgia State laws or California State laws since they are HQ'd in CA?

If I were to decide to simply quit due to this pay cut and new incurred expense of travel, would this be a good reason for quitting, in terms of collecting total unemployment?

Any advice would be helpful.  Thank you.
Bedford

Postby rushford79 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:54 am

Doesn't matter where the company is headquartered, the employment laws are where the work is performed so Georgia laws would take presidence. If you had quit when the job was eliminated you would be eligible for unemployment. If you had taken part time at a reduction in pay you could probably have drawn partial unemployment. Because you took a full time job even though it is farther away, you are not eligible for unemployment if you quit. The mileage would have no bearing as you knew the location before you took the job.

You can always call the Department of Labor in Georgia and verifiy this is true, but I know it is true in my state.

Shirley
rushford79

Postby Maximiliano » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:42 pm

I have worked for my employer for 1 1/2 years as a full time employee.  I am a resident of GA(the company is headquartered out of California).  I was told in February by my employer that my position was being eliminated effective April 11, 2009, and was given two options:

-Remain at my current location, accepting a part time position, at $2 less per hour

-Transfer to another location 35 miles away, but keep full time status, accepting a pay cut of $1.25 less per hour

Because of my interest in health insurance coverage I took the transfer to the further away location approximately two weeks after the notification.  Effective April 11 my pay will be decreased by 1.25 per hour and my job title will change.  Unfortunately, to keep my full time status and health insurance, Im spending a 3x more money on the gas to get to work.

Here are my questions:

Would I be eligible to file for partial unemployment to help make up for the pay cut/location transfer since it was through no fault of my own?

If so, which laws would be applicable, Georgia State laws or California State laws since they are HQ'd in CA?

If I were to decide to simply quit due to this pay cut and new incurred expense of travel, would this be a good reason for quitting, in terms of collecting total unemployment?

Any advice would be helpful.  Thank you.
Maximiliano

Return to Labor Laws