Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Patent

Patents & Trademarks Discussion Forum

Patent

Postby Abel » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:54 am

Hello,

I am interested in importing a product(drywall stilts) from China.  Before I import the drywall stilts, I want to make sure the product doesn't violate any US patents.  What is the best way for me to go about doing this?

Thank you for your time
Abel

Patent

Postby Dorren » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:25 pm

If the product is over 20 years old, i.e. has been around in the U.S. that long, the patent is expired.

However, if it is a new product, and there is a U.S. manufactorer they compete with, check the U.S. manufacturer's product to see if they have a patent number on it, or on the literature, or ask them for any patent numbers. Then check the patent office site, uspto.gov for that patent number to see if it is expired(over 20 years old).

Or, if a new product, and no U.S. manufacturers(i.e. it was invented in Germany, for example), see if there is a U.S. patent on that. You also can do a key word search on the uspto.gov site to see what patents are out there & how recent they are.

Or, you can have a formal search done, for $650, by me, and I can check it out.

If in the event you start importing the product, after all this due dilligence, and some one shows up with a U.S. Patent claiming to cover the product you are importing, apologize, tell them you are willling to work with them, and double check with a patent attorney to see if you really are infringing on their patent. Then, if you really are importing an infringing product, ask for a license or buy theirs.

Hope that helps.  My email is [email protected]

My web site: http://www.evansville.net/biz/patagent

Best wishes on your project.
Dorren

Patent

Postby Elton » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:12 am

Hello,

I am interested in importing a product(drywall stilts) from China.  Before I import the drywall stilts, I want to make sure the product doesn't violate any US patents.  What is the best way for me to go about doing this?

Thank you for your time
Elton

Return to Patents & Trademarks