Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Part Time Programs

Discussions relating to Personal Injury Law

Part Time Programs

Postby Absalom » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:12 pm

What are your thoughts on the evening programs or part time law school programs?  Most highly rated programs don't seem to have them, but a decent pool certainly support both formats.  I've been looking at the San Diego evenign program as well as a few in the Chicago and Midwest.  I just recently accepted a position out of college at a Big Four accounting firm and I've always had the idea that I would get my law degree once I finished my CPA exams, which I should do by the end of summer or fall.  I'm wondering if my work would allow me to attend one of the evening programs or if I should just leave my job after a year or two and go full time to a program.  Any sort of feedback or insight on the process, job prospects in a part time vs. full time program, and career impact these decisions may have would certainly be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
Absalom

Part Time Programs

Postby Loring » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:22 am

Stick with the big 4 job as long as possible until you hit a wall and stop moving up or stop learning.  As far as jobs you will have to juggle and that in turn interferes with studies and work. You will most likely have to quit working unless you are able to maintain a very effecient schedule for school and work and not wasting a single minute of any day. This gets very stressful and life is too short to be constantly stressed out.  You have to find out what you want and if the law degree will give it to you. Find out what a tax lawyer does first, the kind of hours they keep and the kind of work that they do and if that is truly what you want then go for but as I always suggest do your homework and be very thorough because lawschool is something that can just as easily setback your life as improve it. If the part time program is at a top 100 school you shouldn't have any problems any lower than that and your asking for trouble. Job prospects are the same if not better for parttimers because they have time to get more experience.
Loring

Part Time Programs

Postby cassidy25 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:59 pm

What are your thoughts on the evening programs or part time law school programs?  Most highly rated programs don't seem to have them, but a decent pool certainly support both formats.  I've been looking at the San Diego evenign program as well as a few in the Chicago and Midwest.  I just recently accepted a position out of college at a Big Four accounting firm and I've always had the idea that I would get my law degree once I finished my CPA exams, which I should do by the end of summer or fall.  I'm wondering if my work would allow me to attend one of the evening programs or if I should just leave my job after a year or two and go full time to a program.  Any sort of feedback or insight on the process, job prospects in a part time vs. full time program, and career impact these decisions may have would certainly be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
cassidy25

Return to Personal Injury Law