Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Paragard Iud Perforation

Been the victim of Legal Malpractice? Discuss it here.

Paragard Iud Perforation

Postby Marlow » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:59 am

I know you've had this question before but as each case is different- I had a paragard iud put in about six weeks after the birth of my son. My midwife who is also a nurse practitioner is apparently familiar with the mirena but not the paragard as she was reading the instructions as she inserted it. I had pain immediately and bleeding which I was told was normal. I asked if I ought to check the strings and she said nobody really does. Over the next week I checked the strings twice and the second time I couldn't feel them. I immediately called the office and asked to be seen. As my midwife was not in the office I saw another dr. She checked, could not see the strings. I was sent for ultrasound(abdominal and vaginal) then an x-ray, then a ct scan, over the next few days as the iud could not be seen. They determined the iud was outside the uterus but where they did not know. I was informed I would have to have laparoscopic surgery that may turn in to open laparotomy if the iud was hard to find. As Christmas was upon us and my kids were due to visit me the next day I asked if this surgery was necessary to do immediately or if it could wait about two weeks. The OB told me it was ok to wait as "the iud has rounded edges and so will not harm anything else." I was scheduled for laparoscopy on January 2. Everyone was anticipating easy surgery. When I woke up I was told I had had open laparotomy and since the iud had wrapped itself up in my small intestine, four inches of my small intestine had been removed and the ends sewn back together by the general surgeon on staff. I am now recovering. I have lost work time, have incurred new hospital bills and am taking care of a two month old. I have since gone on the FDA website and it specifies that if an IUD perforates the uterus it needs to come out immediately to avoid damage to the bowels. I was not informed this was a possibility and would not have waited had I known, as it may have saved me from this complication. Should I pursue this and take it to a lawyer or am I stuck with hospital bills and a messed up uterus and bowels?

ANSWER: I sent a long reply on Saturday. Did you not receive it?

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

i have not received any answer but was directed to this site for it.(?)
Marlow

Paragard Iud Perforation

Postby Niewheall » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:53 pm

I know you've had this question before but as each case is different- I had a paragard iud put in about six weeks after the birth of my son. My midwife who is also a nurse practitioner is apparently familiar with the mirena but not the paragard as she was reading the instructions as she inserted it. I had pain immediately and bleeding which I was told was normal. I asked if I ought to check the strings and she said nobody really does. Over the next week I checked the strings twice and the second time I couldn't feel them. I immediately called the office and asked to be seen. As my midwife was not in the office I saw another dr. She checked, could not see the strings. I was sent for ultrasound(abdominal and vaginal) then an x-ray, then a ct scan, over the next few days as the iud could not be seen. They determined the iud was outside the uterus but where they did not know. I was informed I would have to have laparoscopic surgery that may turn in to open laparotomy if the iud was hard to find. As Christmas was upon us and my kids were due to visit me the next day I asked if this surgery was necessary to do immediately or if it could wait about two weeks. The OB told me it was ok to wait as "the iud has rounded edges and so will not harm anything else." I was scheduled for laparoscopy on January 2. Everyone was anticipating easy surgery. When I woke up I was told I had had open laparotomy and since the iud had wrapped itself up in my small intestine, four inches of my small intestine had been removed and the ends sewn back together by the general surgeon on staff. I am now recovering. I have lost work time, have incurred new hospital bills and am taking care of a two month old. I have since gone on the FDA website and it specifies that if an IUD perforates the uterus it needs to come out immediately to avoid damage to the bowels. I was not informed this was a possibility and would not have waited had I known, as it may have saved me from this complication. Should I pursue this and take it to a lawyer or am I stuck with hospital bills and a messed up uterus and bowels?

ANSWER: I sent a long reply on Saturday. Did you not receive it?

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

i have not received any answer but was directed to this site for it.(?)
Niewheall

Paragard Iud Perforation

Postby Auley » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:07 am

Go ahead and contact a local medical malpractice attorney if you are so motivated. Get your medical records together and take them to the appointment to expedite matters. Firstly, there is no malpractice case that could win based on negligent insertion of the IUD unless your state law prohibits anyone other than an MD from doing it. That is something that should be checked out. There are no cases that I know of regarding defective design of the IUD that would cause perforation so, no case against the manufacturer. So, your only case would have to allege that if the standard that you claim is in the FDA website was adhered to and surgery done asap, you would have had a much better outcome. But how can you prove that the IUD wasn't already wrapped up in the intestines? You can't. In other words, if they did operate immediately, the result would have been the same. Do you know otherwise? Also, hopefully you will be just fine and not even notice that you are missing a few inches of intestine. If so, the damages are not huge(good for you) and therefore no attorney wants to make the investment of money and time into the case. So, you see the issues. Best of luck.
Auley

Return to Legal Malpractice