Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Nursing In The Us/uk

Talk about immigration laws here

Nursing In The Us/uk

Postby Anntoin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:32 am

Hello, I am an American and had been in living in London for the last couple of years studying in another field. I recently returned to the States to continue my education in that field, but decided to go into Nursing. After my BSN, I want go to grad school for Nurse practioning and CRNA. Eventually getting my Doctorate in Nurse practioning. I was considering returning to the UK to possibly live and to work in Nursing. I know the UK and US education is pretty similar for the most part, but how well will the US nursing degree translate to the UK? Will there be extra tests to be certified in the UK? You seem to have translated well to the US with your UK degree but did you have to do any extra testing or anything like classes?

Also, I had mentioned getting the advanced degrees in nursing. I will probably get my degrees in the US, but are the nursing degrees in the UK the same as in the US? For instance, if I have my BSN and move to the UK and want to pursue my advanced degrees there, will the degrees be the same as in the US? If I ever wanted to move back to the States, will I be able to use the degrees in the same way? Vice versa, will I be able to use advanced nursing degrees from the US in the UK?

Thanks!
Anntoin

Nursing In The Us/uk

Postby Ramhart » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:40 pm

Hello, I am an American and had been in living in London for the last couple of years studying in another field. I recently returned to the States to continue my education in that field, but decided to go into Nursing. After my BSN, I want go to grad school for Nurse practioning and CRNA. Eventually getting my Doctorate in Nurse practioning. I was considering returning to the UK to possibly live and to work in Nursing. I know the UK and US education is pretty similar for the most part, but how well will the US nursing degree translate to the UK? Will there be extra tests to be certified in the UK? You seem to have translated well to the US with your UK degree but did you have to do any extra testing or anything like classes?

Also, I had mentioned getting the advanced degrees in nursing. I will probably get my degrees in the US, but are the nursing degrees in the UK the same as in the US? For instance, if I have my BSN and move to the UK and want to pursue my advanced degrees there, will the degrees be the same as in the US? If I ever wanted to move back to the States, will I be able to use the degrees in the same way? Vice versa, will I be able to use advanced nursing degrees from the US in the UK?

Thanks!
Ramhart

Nursing In The Us/uk

Postby Stedman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:22 pm

Hello Ja,

Thanks for addressing this question to me - I will do what I can to help you.

Firstly, there are some differences between UK and USA nurse education. In the USA a nurse trains for a 'general' license. In the UK the nurse chooses between 4 disciplines to train for(adult, paediatric, mental health, learning disabilities). The education in the UK contains some general training, but most of the work is focussed on the specific area the nurse has chosen.

What this means is: You will have to stipulate which of the four fields above you wish to join. Your training transcripts will be examined to ensure that you have the required level of training for that field. Once that has been completed a nurse will usually start the immigration process(I am assuming that you already have resident or citizenship status if you have been living there - if not then this is a process that is very similar to the USA - expect 3 years to complete this, mine took 4 years) The RCN has a department that can help with immigration.

Before you start practicing you will need to complete an Overseas Nursing Program. This is a 20 day program which covers UK law, record keeping, drug administration etc. AS a UK nurse in the USA I did have to complete my state boards, which I had to pass before continuing with my immigration process. As far as I am aware there is no such test in the UK - your training transcripts, criminal bakground, verifiable references and professional portfolio are all that are needed - although I urge you to have some official confirmation of this - my knowledge of USA-UK immigration is not comprehensive.

In terms of further education, I think you will find that you will be ok. You will be able to transfer degrees providing the regulatory body is satisfied with the training required to complete those degrees. You may find that you will need to complete some pre-req courses to get entry to some education, I have found the same thing here in the US.

I hope I have helped a little. If you let me know where in the UK you were thinking of going, I would be happy to get some geographically relevant resources for you.

Alex
Stedman

Return to Immigration Law