Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Nerve Damage

Been the victim of Medical Malpractice or fighting a malpractice suit? Discuss it here.

Nerve Damage

Postby ned » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:58 pm

My wife had 2 step surgery done 3 days ago where her chin implant was removed and then sliding genioplasty performed. There was a complication during the surgery- the surgeon accidentaly cut one of the mental nerves(on the right site). He said that he has not expected the nerve to be positioned in that area. He also said that has repaired the damage by sewing the nerve endings back together and he is unsure of the outcome, he is not excluding permanent nerve damage. My wife has no sensation in the right area of her chin so far. Is this a case for medical malpractice? What can be done?
ned

Nerve Damage

Postby Bothe » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:25 pm

Kevin,

I am not a surgeon but the facts alone do not sound like malpractice.  The physician knew that he cut the nerve and tried to remedy the situation.  This is a known complication of the surgery.

It really depends on how the surgery was performed and you need to speak to another surgeon.  You should also bring the second opinion a copy of the surgical report.  

I also suggest you speak to a malpractice attorney in your area since different attorneys, like doctors, have different opinions.

I hope your wife has a full recovery.  It sounds like it will take time for the nerve to regenerate and I hope it does.

Very truly yours,

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.
Bothe

Nerve Damage

Postby Wynn » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:28 am

My wife had 2 step surgery done 3 days ago where her chin implant was removed and then sliding genioplasty performed. There was a complication during the surgery- the surgeon accidentaly cut one of the mental nerves(on the right site). He said that he has not expected the nerve to be positioned in that area. He also said that has repaired the damage by sewing the nerve endings back together and he is unsure of the outcome, he is not excluding permanent nerve damage. My wife has no sensation in the right area of her chin so far. Is this a case for medical malpractice? What can be done?
Wynn

Return to Medical Malpractice