Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Nerve Damage After Surgery

Been the victim of Medical Malpractice or fighting a malpractice suit? Discuss it here.

Postby Skeggr » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:27 am

on oct 7 2007 i broke my humerus mid shaft..i went to the er and recieved treatment from a ortho dr. he put me to sleep in the er set the bone and wraped it sent me home...couple weeks later i went back to this doctor who sd my bone was no healing right wanted to wait and see if it would start...keep in mind i still had full use of my hand...i went back in nov..docter decided that i would need surgery so he could put a metal rod to help it heal...on nov.17th i woke up from surgery and had numbness in my hand and could no longer move my wrist or fingers...i told the doctor about this..he replied "you will be okay" went back to his office 2 weeks after surgery..still having the same problem with my hand and now have noticed spots in my arm where i had no feeling and yet kept getting the same response..it will be okay...finally the doctor sent me to have a never test done which showed 20% use of the radial nerve along with other nerves that were showing low response on the test....doctor says this is uncommon and i dont know why you are having problems....then my insurance ran out and the doctor says to me when you get insurance let me know and i will try to fix your arm...my ? is could he have caused this nerve damage when he went in to put the rod in and what are my options as far as trying to get this repaired?
Skeggr

Postby treadway86 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:14 am

Holly,

The doctor could have moved and injured or cut through a nerve or nerves during surgery.  I suggest you get a second opinion.

If you cannot pay for a second opinion, you may wish to see a medical malpractice attorney in your area.  The attorney may be able to pay to get an opinion that could be used in a potential claim.

I hope you get a second opinion and have a full recovery.

Paul D. Friedman, M.A., Ph.D., J.D.
treadway86

Postby Weiford » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:48 pm

on oct 7 2007 i broke my humerus mid shaft..i went to the er and recieved treatment from a ortho dr. he put me to sleep in the er set the bone and wraped it sent me home...couple weeks later i went back to this doctor who sd my bone was no healing right wanted to wait and see if it would start...keep in mind i still had full use of my hand...i went back in nov..docter decided that i would need surgery so he could put a metal rod to help it heal...on nov.17th i woke up from surgery and had numbness in my hand and could no longer move my wrist or fingers...i told the doctor about this..he replied "you will be okay" went back to his office 2 weeks after surgery..still having the same problem with my hand and now have noticed spots in my arm where i had no feeling and yet kept getting the same response..it will be okay...finally the doctor sent me to have a never test done which showed 20% use of the radial nerve along with other nerves that were showing low response on the test....doctor says this is uncommon and i dont know why you are having problems....then my insurance ran out and the doctor says to me when you get insurance let me know and i will try to fix your arm...my ? is could he have caused this nerve damage when he went in to put the rod in and what are my options as far as trying to get this repaired?
Weiford

Return to Medical Malpractice