Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Need note from doctor saying my dog is a companion animal.?

Having a dispute with a tenant or landlord? Rental Law discussion

Postby augustus » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:46 am

I moved into my apartment about a month ago coming from a really bad living situation. Needless to say I was estatic when we got approved. When my best friend and my now roomate and I were about to fill out the application I saw that it said no pets. We were about to walk out and go look for another apartment when the manager told us to just say our animals are companion animals and explained that there is a law that requires them to let us keep our pets.
Now, almost a month later I get a note on the door that says our animals need to be removed by two weeks or our rental agreement will be terminated. The manager that had told us we can keep our pets is now no longer working here.
I went and talked to another lady that works here and she told me that we were told from the beginning that we needed to have a note from a doctor saying our animals our companion animals, which is completley untrue. We do need to get the note now because we are in fear of being evicted. My four year old is in tears all the time that we might have to get rid of our dog. I need to know how easy it is saying that I have a companion animal from a doctor. I feel like we have been set up for failure because we would have never filled out an appliction and moved in if the manager hadn't told me the animals wouldnt be a problem.
This dog has been with me through battles of depression and I can't imagine getting rid of him but I am no longer seeing a psychiatrist.
augustus

Postby lamarr3 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:50 am

Tell her your dog is an anxiety relief animal. This makes it a service animal under the Americans with Disabilities act, and it means that she can't even require a doctors note unless she has IN RIGHTING that you knew you needed one. This makes both evicting you and forcing you to give up your dog a federal offense.
lamarr3

Postby chason58 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:54 am

First of all, what a great idea to come to YA and create an account to ask this question.
I know this would be the first place I would come to , especially if I had never been here before.

Easy solution-move.

All dogs are companion animals. That is their designation as opposed to horses and cattle which are livestock. See the difference.

You can not lie and say the dog is a service dog because it is not.

You are going to have to break your lease and move to somewhere that will allow pets.

Or if you love the place you are living in then get rid of the dog. You and the kid will get over it.
chason58

Postby ardwyad » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:56 am

You will need to have some type of proof in order to be reasonably accommodated by your landlord under the Fair Housing Act. Most places will see a note or a prescription from a doctor as reasonable proof. So talk to the psychiatrist that you saw in the past about this issue.
ardwyad

Postby philibert63 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:00 am

So you want us to help you break federal law? Not happening.

Your dog is not a service animal or a therapy animal so you can't have a doctor lie and allow you to have the dog so you can break the rules and federal law.

You have to get rid of the dog, no doctor will give you an note because they don't want to lose their license and face Federal penalties for you.

You either have to get rid of the dog or find a place that will allow it. Its a simple as that. Get rid of the dog or find a new place to live, its just that simple I don't know why you want help breaking federal law.
philibert63

Return to Rental Law