Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

My Husbands Staph Infection

Been the victim of Medical Malpractice or fighting a malpractice suit? Discuss it here.

Postby juanito » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:27 pm

My husband went in for arthroscopic knee surgery to clean out some bone spurs and arthritis...got an infection.  6 surgeries later..a blood clot..and now not able to work due to not being able to move about(he is in PT)...do we have any recourse whatsoever?  He remembers nurses debating about whether "this patient"(him) should be given and antibiotic befofe the surgery...they concluded he was not to be given one.  all this seems so unfair...he went in to surgery without the infection...came home with one ...this has changes our lives dramatically...what can we do?
juanito

Postby kenway » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:05 am

I presume the extra surgeries were due to the staph infection.  The question to be asked, that I cannot answer without consulting with a surgeon is: is it the "standard of care" protocol to give antibiotics to knee surgery patients prior to surgery? Next question: if antibiotics were given, would he have avoided the infection? These are general questions that must be answered by a local surgeon. The next level of inquiry would be: does this hospital or this surgeon have a higher rate of infection than should be expected? ie: is there evidence that the hospital/surgeon are not doing all they should to sanitize the facilities, operating room, instruments, etc.  Considering the damages sufferred, I think it is worth contacting a medical malpractice atty in your area. First, get all of the medical records together. There may be a smoking gun in there somewhere. Go the the atty who will not charge any fee but if you say you are willing to pay for a review of the case by an outside medical expert in order to determine if there was malpractice,(which is required in any mp case), I think you would be able to find an attorney to help. The atty does not want to spend his own money until he knows there is a case. Then he will work on a % basis. Problem is that staph all too common and it is not clear that hospitals can totally prevent it. Good luck.
kenway

Postby Kaelin » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:07 am

My husband went in for arthroscopic knee surgery to clean out some bone spurs and arthritis...got an infection.  6 surgeries later..a blood clot..and now not able to work due to not being able to move about(he is in PT)...do we have any recourse whatsoever?  He remembers nurses debating about whether "this patient"(him) should be given and antibiotic befofe the surgery...they concluded he was not to be given one.  all this seems so unfair...he went in to surgery without the infection...came home with one ...this has changes our lives dramatically...what can we do?
Kaelin

Return to Medical Malpractice