Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Tips for Achieving an Amicable Divorce

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

My husband doesnt want to share the house or money with me.?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Postby vanaken25 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:02 am

We just bought a rehab property and we been married for 20 years i always paid all the bills, rent all this time until i lost work in 2011, i never cared that i paid for everything i felt like i least it was paid, u always gave him money and paid his cellphone bill even we he did little odd jobs i let him keep his money and i was broke most of the time, he got on ssi for a sickness he has had and he recieved monies and he hasnt wanted to share any with me, he says its his money , his check, he fills like if he pays the bills he shouldnt have to give me any money, he buys me deordorant and fast food, he has bought me little things but he doesnt want to give me any real money but he lets his friends borrow money from him all the time, he put his name on the tiltle of the house i didnt think anything about it, we married the house still belongs to the both of us, but now he calls me homeless when we argue and says the house is all his. he acts like i cant do certain things in the house without his permission. cause his money paid for it and says he can sell it whenever he wants, i lost all respect for him, i thought we was bestfriends, he locks all the paperwork up so i cant see it. what should i do? i am not working right now .
vanaken25

Postby hanan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:08 am

I guess it's time to get a job...then make sure you open your own bank account and keep all YOUR money in it.
hanan

Postby ahanu » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:09 am

If it's " his house " it's his responsibility to pay for it and all the repairs and maintenance..

Be sure to remind him of that later on when you are working again.
ahanu

Postby gilleabart » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:11 am

First of all, after twenty years of marriage whether the house is in his name or both, you own part of it...it's marital property so when he starts that nonsense, ignore it. Techincally he can sell it but then YOU can sue for a portion of the proceeds and you will get it.

I'd tell him "Your house? Okay-YOU clean it, then".

I would get a job a soon as you can and start saving ALL your earnings after all it's YOUR money.....then when you can move out or threaten to. When the little woman doesn't need them financially, oh, do they sing a different song......
gilleabart

Return to Property Law