Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

My employer is avoiding me,forcing me to quit and not paying me.what do i do?

Discuss Labor Laws

Postby jorian23 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:31 pm

I worked for a restaurant in maine for about a week.the owners and management were totally unproffesional.i was hired as a cook,which i never actually got to do there.i was hired on the spot,and from there it went downhill.the ad i responded to said they will start you at 12-16 dollars an hour,but when i was hired they said theyll start me at 10 and see what im worth.ok,its better than nothing and i need a job.no argument there.so i start and was told,"you are a cook,we need you to cook.let the romanian students clean and do dishes.thats why theyre here."so i begin to cook and almost immediately the other cook says "i cant train you on the line,do dishes and watch me when your done."so i finish the dishes and he tells me to go outside and help the guy thats mowing the lawn.seriously?i ask my boss if thats what i should do,she says no,and thats when the cook says to the owner that he wont train me on the line because hes too busy with 2 orders and making himself a surf and turf.also,they ignored me when i asked questions,and refused to answer when i said it louder,just in case i was too quiet.the manager actually said "i dont have time to talk to you"when i asked where to put clean glasses after the shelves were filled up.one waitress helped,put them behind the bar,then the owner got mad at both of us.no real explanation,just acting like i should know already,even though it was my first day.i get done,ask when i should come back in,they say not tomorrow but call to check the schedule.i was never on the schedule, i asked if i could come in early to train(even though i have experience,every place is different and i cant watch and do dishes at the same time),and say that they dont have to pay me for observing.they said it was fine,theyd call me to tell me when to come in.no one called so i call in my day off to ask,no one knows and say once again theyll call me with the schedule.no one ever called me,but i called every day after that with no response from management.after 3 days they stop answering my phone calls,unless i blocked my number.when i asked to talk to the owners or management,they would say yes,realize who it was and all the sudden be too busy to speak to me.ive left about 10 messages with staff and the machine,asking if ive been ket go,if i need to come in and when we get paid.no response.tge one time i got tge owner on tge phone by not giving any info and blocking my number,she hung up on me after realizing who i was.at this point i know theyre trying to make me quit because they dont want to pay unemployment.after 5 days,i give them my two weeks notice because ive found another job,but id like to know when i get paid,its been over a week (and im pretty sure the law says 72 hours after quitting),still no response.im not relying on them to mail it because they dont have the decency to answer my calls or respond to the numerous messages ive left.what do i do?after the way theyve been acting im a little hesitant to just show up there.is what theyre doing even legal?ive thought about calling the BBB or labor board,but dont know what my boss is obligated to do.can someone help?
jorian23

Postby jerrick » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:32 pm

You will be paid on whatever their payday is. They should mail your check within 72 hours of whenever pay day should be. Give them 2 weeks from now, then go in and inquire about your paycheck. You did work, and you deserve to be paid for that time. The BB can't help you, and it's still way to involve government agencies. If they do not pay you within 30 days, then go to the Department of Labor and report them. But don't call. Go in when they are not busy. Tell them you are sorry it didn't work out, but you'd like to know when you will be getting paid.
jerrick

Postby denys » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:37 pm

You will be paid on whatever their payday is. They should mail your check within 72 hours of whenever pay day should be. Give them 2 weeks from now, then go in and inquire about your paycheck. You did work, and you deserve to be paid for that time. The BB can't help you, and it's still way to involve government agencies. If they do not pay you within 30 days, then go to the Department of Labor and report them. But don't call. Go in when they are not busy. Tell them you are sorry it didn't work out, but you'd like to know when you will be getting paid.
You can call the BBB or the labor board but if none work i would take it up on small claims court. Make sure you have proof that you work X amount of hours and what they told you they were gonna pay you by hour. If i were you print out the AD that said 16 and hour and go by that.
denys

Return to Labor Laws