Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Mother In-law As A Dependant

Discussions relating to Drug Laws

Postby Maxwell » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:08 pm

s About Taxes)/Mother In-Law as a Dependant Advertisement Expert: Helen P. O`Planick, EA - 12/24/2007 Thanks for your availability. My husband is in the military. His mother recently fell so ill to cancer, that she can no longer work and afford to live in her home of over 30 years. My husband and I have offered her a place in our home across country, and she has hesitantly accepted. My husband plans to add his mother as a dependant so that she will have the much needed medical care and prescription drug coverage that she can no longer afford. She does get a small monthly pension, but also has a great deal of debt.

Can you tell me please...if my husband adds his mother as a dependant, will that make him(us) ultimately responsible for her debt?

Thanks so much.
Maxwell

Postby Waldo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:09 pm

s About Taxes)/Mother In-Law as a Dependant Advertisement Expert: Helen P. O`Planick, EA - 12/24/2007 Thanks for your availability. My husband is in the military. His mother recently fell so ill to cancer, that she can no longer work and afford to live in her home of over 30 years. My husband and I have offered her a place in our home across country, and she has hesitantly accepted. My husband plans to add his mother as a dependant so that she will have the much needed medical care and prescription drug coverage that she can no longer afford. She does get a small monthly pension, but also has a great deal of debt.

Can you tell me please...if my husband adds his mother as a dependant, will that make him(us) ultimately responsible for her debt?

Thanks so much.
Waldo

Postby Calvino » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:53 am

No, you will not be responsible for her debt at all.  

Just an FYI, and you did not ask, which most do - can you claim Mom as a dependent?  If her pension and other income(but not SS) is under $3400, you can.  If over that you cannot claim her, but if you itemize deductions for medical purposes, you can use the expenses you pay on her behalf as a deduction.  

Where you will have to worry about the debt is when she passes and if she leaves any money.  The debtors will get it first before her heirs.  And I'm hoping that time is a long time coming.  

Good luck to you all.

Helen, EA in PA
Calvino

Return to Drug Laws