Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Mosler Safe

Discuss anything relating to Consumer Law

Mosler Safe

Postby Bartolo » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:16 pm

terry...can you please help me. i have a mosler safe serial # 222360. it is a double door with an interior door. there are vials of liquid inside in a metal case located on the back side of the front door. i have been told it is poisionous gas? on saturday nite june 11 2011 we were broke into. some one took a welding torch and cut the door open. do you know if any of these safes still exist.i would like to find a door that could replace the damaged door.

thank you... ronnie

ANSWER: Ronnie,

The vials are not "Poisonous" gas, but it is a very potent "Tear" Gas.

Lachrymatory Agent: AKA: Tear-Gas - A chemical compound that presents as a liquid in vacuum,

becoming a gas when exposed to oxygen or simple room air. Typical compounds stimulate the

corneal nerves to produce tearing and in some instances, temporary blindness. Typical agents used

in safe and vault protective devices were bromoacetone, chloropicrin(PS) and xylyl bromide. Other

common agents used from the 1950's to present include CS, CR and CN gas. The latter agents were

more predictable and controllable in riot control situations. All of these various compounds attack mucous membranes and underlying tissue. The degree of attack is individual, with some individuals developing acute swelling and death, while others may be slightly irritated and suffer no lasting ill effects.

As you can see from the description this is nothing to fool around with.  If the safe is inside the house and the vials break, it may take a couple weeks for the gas to completly disipate.

I recommend that the safe be taken outside the house to be opened so that it is in the open which will help the gas disipate more quickly.

I also recommend that you have a safe technician from a local safe company remove the vials to avoid their breaking.

You mentioned that the safe is "open", so I take it the burglars "DID" get into the safe.  Replacement doors are not available, and even if you find a similar safe, chances are the door won't fit your safe, as the doors and frames were made in pairs.

You will have to have the safe company look at your safe door to see if it is repairable.

There are plenty of old safes available, you just need to look around.  Also, I don't recommend using safes which are over 50 years old for overnight storage of cash, jewelry, valuble documents, or other valuables.  These safes don't meet current standards for fire or burglary resistance.  If you need a safe for storing your valuables, buy a new one that meets the standards for the type of protection that you need - fire, burglary or both.

Andy

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION....I WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE THE SAFE THAT WAS DESTROYED. I WOULD LIKE A SAFE VERY HEAVY DUTY APPROX. 40"WIDE 60" TALL. CAN YOU RECOMMEND A BRAND OR TYPE I COULD RESEARCH.

SOME THING VERY SOLID...MORE THAN A GLORIFIED GUN SAFE. MOST GOOD SAFES I HAVE FOUND SEEM TO BE OVER SEAS. WHY IS THAT?

THANKS...RONNIE
Bartolo

Mosler Safe

Postby Ricki » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:53 pm

Ronnie,

There are some very good quality safes made in the US, HOWEVER foreign manufactures face threats the US manufactures don't even consider.  For instance in most third world countries, the people that you would trust to protect you today(the police, military and politicians), may be the same people that are stealing from you tomorrow.  At the end of the day, the ability of your safe to protect your valuables may be the difference between poverty and wealth.

That being said, US Safe distriutors not only provide good quality Domestic brands, but they also import some of the best safes the world has to offer.

Unfortunately, most people are ONLY exposed to the chain store, hardware store, ware house store merchandise or gunsafes.  In many cases the only thing that these safes offer is a cheap price.  Just because it has a dial on it doesn't make it a safe.  Consider this:  If the safe is light enough for you to buy it at the chain store, and carry it home, it is light enough for burglars to ALSO carry it away.  For most people a 300 to 500 lb safe is a HEAVY safe.  I consider anything under 1000 lbs a light safe, 1000 to 3000 a medium weight safe, and over 3000 lbs a heavy safe.

Now lets discuss the basics of safe construction.  Safes are designed with two thoughts in mind, protecting your valuables from fire, and protecting them from theft.  These are two completely different concepts and utilize different means of protection.  Fire safes are rated in their ability to keep HEAT out of the safe.  They are generally tested at specific temperatures and during the timed test, the interior of the safe CANNOT exceed 350 degrees F.

Burglary safes are designed to keep unauthorized people out of your safe.  They are built out of thick steel.  Safes which are under 750 lbs, MUST be securely bolted down to keep them from "walking away".

Composite safes provide both fire and burglary.  Not all safes provide both protections, some are fire safes only, some are burglary safes only.

Burglary safes are also rated in their abilities to keep people out of safes similar to fire safes.  They can be tested against tool attacks, Torch attacks and explosive attacks.  The higher the rating, the better the safe has met the challenges.  

Third world country safes MUST be UL tested for burglary protection before these safes can be used for large $$$$$ values, or insurance protections.  The rating required by the insurance company will depend upon what you plan on keeping in the safe  ($$$$ value).

Most of the gun safes barely meet the minimum level of burglary protection, but standards were improved a few years ago to address this issue.  The new testing level by UL is called the RSC rating(or Residential Security Rating).  You can google "Residential Security Container rating" to read what the standards are.  Even if a safe you are interested in does not have the UL RSC label on it, you can use these standards as reference to compare one safe to another.  AGAIN, this is what I consider a MINIMUM rating.

While there are many safes that do not meet the minimum rating, and I will admit that something is usually better than nothing.  I won't do it in this case.  If someone is willing to settle for a piece of "crap" plastic container, because it has a dial on it, and they get ripped off, I have no sympathy for them.  Buying a safe is like buying the cheapest insurance you can imagine.  The better quality that you have, the more likely that YOUR stuff will still be home, EVERY TIME that you come home.

I don't want to sound like I'm trying to sell you on a particular product, as it is my goal to make you an informed consumer so that you can decide, but I will provide you with a couple of websites so that you can become more informed.  Check out local safe stores to see what they offer.  Companies like ours ship nationwide, so there is no reason that you can not get the exact safe that you want - without compromising.

Check out:  http://www.amsecusa.com/Products/DownloadCatalog.aspx     Download their catalogs,

www.securitysafeusa.com

If you have specific questions(sales related) please contact one of our sales men at:

800-326-4224 and ask for sales.

I'm a service manager, and while I will tell you the basics and good and bad points, my job is not selling the safes.

Hope this helps, or at least starts your education in the right direction.

Andy
Ricki

Mosler Safe

Postby cuuladh » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:32 am

terry...can you please help me. i have a mosler safe serial # 222360. it is a double door with an interior door. there are vials of liquid inside in a metal case located on the back side of the front door. i have been told it is poisionous gas? on saturday nite june 11 2011 we were broke into. some one took a welding torch and cut the door open. do you know if any of these safes still exist.i would like to find a door that could replace the damaged door.

thank you... ronnie

ANSWER: Ronnie,

The vials are not "Poisonous" gas, but it is a very potent "Tear" Gas.

Lachrymatory Agent: AKA: Tear-Gas - A chemical compound that presents as a liquid in vacuum,

becoming a gas when exposed to oxygen or simple room air. Typical compounds stimulate the

corneal nerves to produce tearing and in some instances, temporary blindness. Typical agents used

in safe and vault protective devices were bromoacetone, chloropicrin(PS) and xylyl bromide. Other

common agents used from the 1950's to present include CS, CR and CN gas. The latter agents were

more predictable and controllable in riot control situations. All of these various compounds attack mucous membranes and underlying tissue. The degree of attack is individual, with some individuals developing acute swelling and death, while others may be slightly irritated and suffer no lasting ill effects.

As you can see from the description this is nothing to fool around with.  If the safe is inside the house and the vials break, it may take a couple weeks for the gas to completly disipate.

I recommend that the safe be taken outside the house to be opened so that it is in the open which will help the gas disipate more quickly.

I also recommend that you have a safe technician from a local safe company remove the vials to avoid their breaking.

You mentioned that the safe is "open", so I take it the burglars "DID" get into the safe.  Replacement doors are not available, and even if you find a similar safe, chances are the door won't fit your safe, as the doors and frames were made in pairs.

You will have to have the safe company look at your safe door to see if it is repairable.

There are plenty of old safes available, you just need to look around.  Also, I don't recommend using safes which are over 50 years old for overnight storage of cash, jewelry, valuble documents, or other valuables.  These safes don't meet current standards for fire or burglary resistance.  If you need a safe for storing your valuables, buy a new one that meets the standards for the type of protection that you need - fire, burglary or both.

Andy

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION....I WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE THE SAFE THAT WAS DESTROYED. I WOULD LIKE A SAFE VERY HEAVY DUTY APPROX. 40"WIDE 60" TALL. CAN YOU RECOMMEND A BRAND OR TYPE I COULD RESEARCH.

SOME THING VERY SOLID...MORE THAN A GLORIFIED GUN SAFE. MOST GOOD SAFES I HAVE FOUND SEEM TO BE OVER SEAS. WHY IS THAT?

THANKS...RONNIE
cuuladh

Return to Consumer Law