Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Mobile Home Issues

Having a dispute with a tenant or landlord? Rental Law discussion

Mobile Home Issues

Postby Ruaidhri » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:46 am

Roof Seam  

We currently owe ~$25k on a 1995 Fleetwood Mobile Home.  It is mold infested(see attachments). My husband, our son, and myself are currently undergoing medical treatment for severe tonsillitis, chronic ear/sinus infections, and ashthma.  I contacted our local builing inspector who referred me to our state fire marshall who handles all mobile home cases. Because Fleetwood is no longer in business, he explained that there is nothing they can do.  Improvements & remediation include carpet removal, floor & wall replacement, roof repair, and re-plumbing.  The esimated cost would be ~$15,000.  My question is, if the home were to be condemned, what is our liability in regards to the balance on the mortgage???  Catch 22....???
Ruaidhri

Mobile Home Issues

Postby Dantrell » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:50 am

Roof Seam  

We currently owe ~$25k on a 1995 Fleetwood Mobile Home.  It is mold infested(see attachments). My husband, our son, and myself are currently undergoing medical treatment for severe tonsillitis, chronic ear/sinus infections, and ashthma.  I contacted our local builing inspector who referred me to our state fire marshall who handles all mobile home cases. Because Fleetwood is no longer in business, he explained that there is nothing they can do.  Improvements & remediation include carpet removal, floor & wall replacement, roof repair, and re-plumbing.  The esimated cost would be ~$15,000.  My question is, if the home were to be condemned, what is our liability in regards to the balance on the mortgage???  Catch 22....???
Dantrell

Mobile Home Issues

Postby Beag » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:19 pm

HI Tiffany,

Good . Ok, Since you signed on the dotted line you are responsible for it regardless of what happens to the unit itself. You do however have a few options. The first is homeowners insurance. If you have insurance on it then their could be a claim taken out against that and they will either need to fix it or pay off the mortgage on it or whatever your policy states. So talk to your Insurance agent. Secondly if it is foreclosed on it is not considered a foreclosure on your credit. It is considered a repo because mobile homes are considered vehicles and not real estate on your credit etc. unless it is attached to the land itself. If you quit paying on it then they will sue you for the difference, unless you can take a homeowners insurance claim against it. That's what it is there for. Fleetwood may no longer be in business but the company that loaned the money still is which is where the catch 22 is. You can fix it, file bk over it, file an insurance claim against it or walk away and take your chances. I wouldn't do the last one that I stated. I hope that I was able to help and not confuse you more. Let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with. thanks

Brian
Beag

Return to Rental Law