Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Minimum Pay From Employer In Retail Auto Sales

Discuss Labor Laws

Postby Witta » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:50 pm

i work at an auto dealership on a commission only basis. my year to date earnings is 12900 end of august.we are paid monthly.my question is; i earned no commisions during july ,350 dollars during august yet the employer paid no check in july,350 in august.does the employer owe me a minimum compensation because i worked full time during these last 2 months? thank you ed
Witta

Postby Geraint » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:22 am

Edward,

I have answered a similar question on AllExperts before.  Here is a link to the prior answer:  http://en.allexperts.com/q/Employment-Law-924/2010/3/minimum-wage-commision-job. In addition to the information contained in my prior post, you should also know that, under federal wage and hour laws, there is no requirement that wages be paid weekly, as long as some regular pay period(such as bi-weekly or monthly) is established by the employer. Once the employer has established the pay period the FLSA requires that employees receive "prompt payment" for all hours of work within the pay period. Although the "settlement period" does not have to coincide with the regular pay period, in the absence of strong evidence to the contrary it will be assumed that an employer intended that a settlement period for commissions represents the pay period for the affected employees. Periodic draws against commission earnings within the pay/settlement period may be less than the minimum wage. Employers may credit such draws against their minimum wage obligation when settling the amount due to employees at the end of the pay/settlement period.  
Geraint

Postby Clyde » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:01 pm

i work at an auto dealership on a commission only basis. my year to date earnings is 12900 end of august.we are paid monthly.my question is; i earned no commisions during july ,350 dollars during august yet the employer paid no check in july,350 in august.does the employer owe me a minimum compensation because i worked full time during these last 2 months? thank you ed
Clyde

Return to Labor Laws