Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Mini Itx Cluster

Workers Compensation Law Discussion

Mini Itx Cluster

Postby hareleah » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:58 pm

Hi...was wondering about building a small cluster just for personal learning but my main concern is if it is worth the money compared to just building a computer with a fast processor. I understand that a cluster could continue to be expanded, does the front end computer controlling the nodes will show any increse in processing power as a stand alone computer or the cluster will only benefit from software wrtting only clusters? I guess what I am asking if I want it to rip a DVD and it takes me 15 minutes to do so on a stand alone computer, would the same process will be faster in a cluster setup? Any information will be appreaciated
hareleah

Mini Itx Cluster

Postby Daan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi...was wondering about building a small cluster just for personal learning but my main concern is if it is worth the money compared to just building a computer with a fast processor. I understand that a cluster could continue to be expanded, does the front end computer controlling the nodes will show any increse in processing power as a stand alone computer or the cluster will only benefit from software wrtting only clusters? I guess what I am asking if I want it to rip a DVD and it takes me 15 minutes to do so on a stand alone computer, would the same process will be faster in a cluster setup? Any information will be appreaciated
Daan

Mini Itx Cluster

Postby AngelinaJolie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:20 am

Cluster technology is for off loading large scale distributed processing across various servers. In your example the simple answer is not only no, but you would have worse performance simply because of the nature of the device(dvd/writer) is single channel and would gain no value from the clustering while the overhead of managing the cluster would degrade primary controller performance.
AngelinaJolie

Return to Workers Compensation