Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Mileage Reimbursement

Corporate Law Discussions

Mileage Reimbursement

Postby Beornham » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:05 am

Here is the question.  I work for a for profit company, I get reimbursed for mileage at .51/mile.

My wife is an RN that works for a Not For Profit company that operates hospitals, home health care agencies etc.  She is in home health care and gets reimbursed for mileage at .38/mile. They have just adjusted it temporarily to .40/mile due to the increases in Gas prices.  They claim that the adjustment is going to cost them $100,000 because of the adjustment, that is why it is temporary.  We are trying to figure out if this is just smoke or a true cost they would incur.  Also, in excess of what they reimburse can she claim the excess on her federal taxes?  

This is in Florida so all monies are USD.

Thanks,

Tim
Beornham

Mileage Reimbursement

Postby Darvin » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:56 pm

The federal mileage rate for reimbursements for 2011 is 51 cents.

www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=232017,00.html

but, unless your wife has a contract with the company that requires them to reimburse her for the federal rate, then the rate they pay is negotiable.  I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions relating to IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations.  You can also check the Florida law.

See www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

at page 5 under the heading "Out-of-Pocket Expenses

in Giving Services" we see that she could deduct the unreimbursed

expenses that she paid for the use of a charitable organization.

The details are found on page 19 of the record-keeping requirements

in the middle column under the heading "Out-of-Pocket Expenses"

where you see you would need the organzation's written

acknowledgment to deduct.  Details of the acknowledgement are also

found on pdf page 10 at: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1771.pdf Harvey Mechanic, Attorney at Law - [email protected]  
Darvin

Mileage Reimbursement

Postby Kody » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:40 am

Here is the question.  I work for a for profit company, I get reimbursed for mileage at .51/mile.

My wife is an RN that works for a Not For Profit company that operates hospitals, home health care agencies etc.  She is in home health care and gets reimbursed for mileage at .38/mile. They have just adjusted it temporarily to .40/mile due to the increases in Gas prices.  They claim that the adjustment is going to cost them $100,000 because of the adjustment, that is why it is temporary.  We are trying to figure out if this is just smoke or a true cost they would incur.  Also, in excess of what they reimburse can she claim the excess on her federal taxes?  

This is in Florida so all monies are USD.

Thanks,

Tim
Kody

Return to Corporate Law