Welcome to Law-Forums.org!   

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Merina Iud

Been the victim of Medical Malpractice or fighting a malpractice suit? Discuss it here.

Merina Iud

Postby Creswell » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:53 pm

I Received an IUD at my 6 wk check up after having my 3rd child. I am a nurse and thought An IUD would be perfect for me. I had seen so many IUD placements i could have probably placed it myself. During insertion I experienced an extreme amount of pain! I had never seen anyone of my patients in this amount of pain.I bleed allot as well. When I went home i went straight to bed in extreme pain and bleeding. I called the Dr back latter that day concerned with the amount of bleeding i was experiencing. They told me that was normal after IUD placement. I thought a few things were different about my IUD placement. first was they did not have me sign a consent form, which is something at my clinic is a must! Another thing was while my legs were in the stirrups the Dr was reading the instructions! And they did not schedule me for a IUD check in 6 wks. Iwas never told what to do next. I stopped cramping and bleeding a few days latter and thought everything was ok. I Was never able to find the strings and thought it was just me not being familiar with my body. 1 1/2 years latter i went back to the Dr's for a gyn visit and she was unable to find the strings so I went for an ultrasound and an IUD was not fond then went for a x-ray and my IUD was fond " above fundal height" Not in my uterus yet in my abd. I went to a gyn Dr who has scheduled me for surgery in about 1 month. I feel ok, but I things were not done right. I can not afford surgery and time off work. I'm not looking to sue and make bank, I would like my medical bills paid and loss time. What do you think, do i have a case? I love my Doctor and I know this was not done in neglect but something that could have been prevented.
Creswell

Merina Iud

Postby Turi » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:36 am

I Received an IUD at my 6 wk check up after having my 3rd child. I am a nurse and thought An IUD would be perfect for me. I had seen so many IUD placements i could have probably placed it myself. During insertion I experienced an extreme amount of pain! I had never seen anyone of my patients in this amount of pain.I bleed allot as well. When I went home i went straight to bed in extreme pain and bleeding. I called the Dr back latter that day concerned with the amount of bleeding i was experiencing. They told me that was normal after IUD placement. I thought a few things were different about my IUD placement. first was they did not have me sign a consent form, which is something at my clinic is a must! Another thing was while my legs were in the stirrups the Dr was reading the instructions! And they did not schedule me for a IUD check in 6 wks. Iwas never told what to do next. I stopped cramping and bleeding a few days latter and thought everything was ok. I Was never able to find the strings and thought it was just me not being familiar with my body. 1 1/2 years latter i went back to the Dr's for a gyn visit and she was unable to find the strings so I went for an ultrasound and an IUD was not fond then went for a x-ray and my IUD was fond " above fundal height" Not in my uterus yet in my abd. I went to a gyn Dr who has scheduled me for surgery in about 1 month. I feel ok, but I things were not done right. I can not afford surgery and time off work. I'm not looking to sue and make bank, I would like my medical bills paid and loss time. What do you think, do i have a case? I love my Doctor and I know this was not done in neglect but something that could have been prevented.
Turi

Merina Iud

Postby zackary42 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:43 am

Firstly, in that you are so familiar with IUDs, lack of a "consent" form, which I agree is strange, is nothing to base a case upon.  The question is whether the doctor did something wrong in the course of the insertion, or not. IUDs can perforate the uterus because of improper insertion or, the cramps that are normal following insertion can force the IUD to migrate. I am not a gynecologist and can't possibly opine which is more likely. You might do a brief internet research on that particular brand of IUD and see if there are warnings about how improper insertion technique can cause this to happen. Would be an easy search. Read the equiavalent of the Physician's Desk Reference, the product literature, see what the risks of wrong insertion are and the cause and risk of IUD migration. That is where you will become more educated on what happened to you and where you might come to understand whether the doctor was negligent or it was just a risk of even a perfect insertion. How do you know "it could have been prevented"? You don't. Witnessing many other successful insertions doesn't prove a thing. So, you are a nurse with no medical insurance? If you do have insurance, just get the surgery done but I think you have to have it done whether you can afford it or not. If you are close to the doctor, I would discuss it with him/her. If the same doctor would do the surgery, the surgeon fees would probably be waived. You have a case for that, just by asking. Good luck.
zackary42

Return to Medical Malpractice