Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

Medical Requirements

Criminal Law Discussion Forum

Medical Requirements

Postby hillocke » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:23 am

Hi,

My name is Jodie. I am a senior in high school and am planning to go to college for my Criminal Justice degree. My question is in regard to medical requirements.

When I was not even six months old, I had open heart surgery to repair a hole in my heart. I have no complications from the surgery and take no medicine. However, I was also born with only one kidney. I know that every agency or department has their own medical standards, but in your opinion,

would I immediately be disqualified because of my medical history? Thanks !!!

Jodie
hillocke

Medical Requirements

Postby Hotah » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:20 am

Hi,

My name is Jodie. I am a senior in high school and am planning to go to college for my Criminal Justice degree. My question is in regard to medical requirements.

When I was not even six months old, I had open heart surgery to repair a hole in my heart. I have no complications from the surgery and take no medicine. However, I was also born with only one kidney. I know that every agency or department has their own medical standards, but in your opinion,

would I immediately be disqualified because of my medical history? Thanks !!!

Jodie
Hotah

Medical Requirements

Postby Napoleon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:48 am

Hi Jodie,

If you are able to pass the exam that a Doctor has to do and sign off, you shoudl be fine. I don't see anything you posted that would be a automatic disqualification.

Here is how Florida words the form Docotors have to sign:

6b. Physician’s Attestment: I hereby attest that I have examined the above named applicant and find him/her CAPABLE of performing the essential functions of the law enforcement, correctional, or correctional probation officer job for which the applicant is seeking employment reflected in number 5

above. I hereby attest that I have examined the above named applicant and find him/her NOT CAPABLE of performing the essential functions of the law enforcement, correctional, or correctional probation officer job for which the applicant is seeking employment reflected in number 5

above.

7. Pre-existing Conditions: Sections 112.18 and 943.13, F.S., require agency knowledge of the following three pre-existing conditions.

However, these outcomes do not statutorily disqualify the applicant from employment.

Please respond to the following “in my professional opinion, this examination”:

7a. Did or did not reveal evidence of tuberculosis.

7b. Did or did not reveal evidence of heart disease.

7c. Did or did not reveal evidence of hypertension.

Your situation should not be an issue. If you can pass the physical and run, jump and do sit ups and push ups, your going to be fine. You will never know unless you try! Go for it.
Napoleon

Return to Criminal Law