Not logged in? Join one of the bigest Law Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Sponsor Links:

Discount Legal Forms
Discounted Legal Texts

MARRIED WOMEN'S RIGHT IN ANCESTRAL PROPERTY?

Discuss anything to do with property law - buying, selling property

Postby hanan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:18 am

we are five siblings.two brothers and three daughters,all sisters were married before 1989 .my father dies in 2000. mother died in 1990 . now my elder sister is asking for equal share in the property which stands in father's name.she has filed a suit.what should i do. i was a government servant and i took VRS to help my father in his political life.i spent all the money for his as well as in the family expenses.do i have any case to challenge my Sister's claim.
hanan

Postby teithi71 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:19 am

we are five siblings.two brothers and three daughters,all sisters were married before 1989 .my father dies in 2000. mother died in 1990 . now my elder sister is asking for equal share in the property which stands in father's name.she has filed a suit.what should i do. i was a government servant and i took VRS to help my father in his political life.i spent all the money for his as well as in the family expenses.do i have any case to challenge my Sister's claim.
Firstly this not an ancestral property but property of your father as it stands in his name.
He died intestate i.e. without making any Will hence the property of the deceased Hindu shall devolve to his class 1 heirs as provided under the Hindu Succession Act,1956.
In your case all your 3 sisters have one share each in the property as you 2 brothers each having one share each, in other words each of you get 1/5th of the share in the property of the father.
The marital status hardly matters in the distribution of the inherited property according to Hindu Succession Act,1956.
teithi71

Return to Property Law